Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LF color photographs 1910-1915

LF color photographs 1910-1915

I thought you may enjoy reading this:
    http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/gorskii.html

Vlad

Re: LF color photographs 1910-1915

Superb, thanks for the link.... but FWIW the photos are not color...
    "For this exhibition, the glass plates have been scanned and, through an innovative process known as digichromatography, brilliant color images have been produced"
    and
    they (the glass plates) were used to produce positive glass slides for his illustrated lectures about the Russian Empire. Prokudin-Gorskii projected the slides through the red, green, and blue filters of a device known as a "magic lantern" which superimposed the images onto a screen resulting in a full-color picture. Secondly, Prokudin-Gorskii used the negatives to print reference photographs of his journeys which were mounted in albums.

Its tri-color photography. The prints might not have been originally in color, but the magic lantern projection was clearly intended to be shown in color, thus, I think it could be classified as "color photography".
    Kino
    We never have time to do it right, but we always seem to have time to do it again...

There is a little bit more on technique he used here(it is on the same site as you can see):
    http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/making.html
    We know that Prokudin-Gorskii intended his photographic images to be viewed in color because he developed an ingenious photographic technique in order for these images to be captured in black and white on glass plate negatives, using red, green and blue filters. He then presented these images in color in slide lectures using a light-projection system [right] involving the same three filters.
    So,you are right ,this was not photographs but projected images,but they definitely were demonstrated as color images.
    There is more photographs on this site than just the first page I posted a link to.Have a look..
    Vlad

Vlad, point taken. I have enjoyed reading all the article and both the images and the process are very interesting. But still, the color is 21st century

Quote Originally Posted by Kino View Post
    Its tri-color photography. The prints might not have been originally in color, but the magic lantern projection was clearly intended to be shown in color, thus, I think it could be classified as "color photography".
    This is the same technique as Technicolor, isn't it?

Great site, thanks for sharing. My wife is a Russian translator and also found it very interesting. Pretty neat techniques on how they do that stuff.

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    This is the same technique as Technicolor, isn't it?
    Yeah, basically. Technicolor was either 2 or 3 records (there were really 2 different technicolor processes). One was through red, green, and blue filters and printed with cyan, magenta, and yellow dyes. The other was red and green records and printed with cyan and magenta dyes.
    -Chris

My (favorite) photographer Frank Hurley took some great images during Shackeltons Endurance expedition to Antarctica in 1914-16. The expedition never reached land when the ship was crushed in the sea ice. A long journey for survival started, The story of this expedition is amzing and Hurley photographed even if they chanses of getting rescued were minimal.

His best masterpiece in my opinion is this: http://www.anmm.gov.au/webdata/resou...rctic_View.jpg

I have a book with images from the expedition an some are color images. It says that they are "autochromes". Does anyone know this process?
    Best regards,
    Eirik Berger

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Autochromes are a different process, basically involving a layer of dyed starch grains in an opaque matrix overlying the emulsion. There's a thread somewhere on APUG about them, and several attempts have been made to recreate the process - so far with no success.