Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: workflow with laptop while on the road

Hopelessly Lost

workflow with laptop while on the road

Hey all, here is my issue...

I am traveling on the road for the next year or so and am producing a large, large amount of images, both digital and film. I have the opportunity to scan my film at intervals while on the road so lets just assume that I have a bunch of digital files. I need to figure out an efficient and quick way to archive all of my images and have access to them while on the road.

I am running a 17" macbook pro with 4gb of RAM so it is quick enough for whatever I can throw at it. Presently, I have a couple of 500 GB Hard drives that I double everything up on. I have already sent 2 HD's off across to the country where I have a safe deposit so they are safe there but I need to be able to have copies of all my files (at least active ones) here with me but do not have enough room on my internal laptop HD.

I guess my real question is...

1. Has anyone used the new time machine function on mac 10.5 and what are your thoughts of it

and

2. I want to Run a RAID system for all of its benefits (cost, ease, peace of mind). Has anyone used this with Lightroom and Time Machine?
    www.hollisbennett.com

Huh? Oh, right, keep moving.

Re: workflow with laptop while on the road

I use the Time Machine once per month and I usually keep two months in that file for backup. Very easy to use. To date I haven't had to use the back up. (Knock on wood). I don't see the need for anymore. I don't usually keep picture files directly on the laptop since I use 500 gig hard drives like yourself. Never used the RAID so can't comment there.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Hopelessly Lost

Good to hear about the ol Time Machine. I saw that the default schedule for it is every hour, pretty excessive. I think I would do a once a week or bi-weekly for me since I am shooting a bunch.

I would really like to be able to have the option to work on my images while on the road and away from power (camping, for example) so the obvious idea would be just to have them on the internal HD. Well, too small for that so what is the answer? I guess just find external power.

I think I just answered my own question. Just needed to type it out.

H.
    www.hollisbennett.com

I also have 350 gig portables that get their power from the computer. They work like a charm. Since I place the picture files on the portables anyway, the only thing I really need to back up to Time Machine is the programs on the computer. As I add programs then I back those up. I do a monthly schedule due to the fact that when the computer is online it is always getting updated from Apple and I might as well keep the backup somewhat up to date too.
    Greg Lockrey

Money is just a tool.

Hi,

A quick comment about RAID.
    I'm running a 1.6 Terabyte Buffalo Terastation Pro that has been reliable for the past year or so. It's a 4-disk RAID-5 array, and I purchased a spare drive just in case. File transfer is Gigabit Ethernet, so it's fast, but not as fast as internal drives. So far, so good. It works quite nicely with Lightroom 2.0.
    I guess the theory is that even if one of the drives fails, the data can be fully reconstructed. I hope I never have to find out if that's actually true.

But still ... I feel a lot more secure with my nice rescan-at-any-time film negatives.

I don't use Time Machine as I don't like the way it is set-up, However, I do use a program called SmartBackup (http://freeridecoding.com) to backup my system.

With backups you need to think about what you can afford to loose. If you can't afford to loose something then you need to create a backup of it. I have a couple of external FW800 drives, one that I store all of my files on and one that acts as a backup drive. I make a weekly backup of my system and my external drive. I have found that this works well for me. If I feel that the day's work is of particular value, then I will run a backup that night.

I used to work for an Arch company that would make two backups every night. One would stay at the firm in a firesafe and one would go home with the NetAdmin guy. Those backups saved our bacon several times when our servers went down.

r.

Hopelessly Lost

yeah, I have had a few times where backups have saved me too, namely, when i made a backup on the night of July 3 this summer and my laptop was stolen the next day. I think that I want to run a 3 bay RAID drive. That way, it will be small enough to be portable and when the drives are full, one will go to a safe deposit box and the other will stay with me in a pelican case (with the actual RAID enclosure). That way, if I need to access a file that is on a past drive, I can just plug it into the RAID drive's open slot. If things go real bad and it is a total loss (car is stolen, explodes, or goes into a river - all possible) then I will at least have copies across the country. Which RAID protocol would be the best for what I want to do???
    www.hollisbennett.com

I always place my photo files on a separate drive. As external drives have increased in capacity, they have gotten smaller and cheaper, and it gets easier to travel with one or more of them.

Independent of my photo files, I use the built-in TimeMachine feature of OS X to back up my entire machine on a very regular basis. Because it is designed by Apple and built-in to the OS, it works very well and integrates nicely. It is not a mediocre after-thought that some marketing person dreamt up in order to place another check-box on the feature list. Instead, it's a "killer app", like Spotlight and Spaces.

The tight integration of TimeMachine with the operating system has saved me quite recently. Without reading any instructions, I was able to reboot off the OS X disk and restore my entire machine, to any save point I wanted to, with very little effort at all. I would say that it "paid for itself"... but it comes free with the operating system. It was a no-brainer.

Macs appear to cost more when compared to other solutions, but they often pay for themselves with savings of time and exasperation. This is a perfect example. Because of the end-to-end business model, you get equipment that just works, right out of the box. What a concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    I use the Time Machine once per month and I usually keep two months in that file for backup. Very easy to use. To date I haven't had to use the back up.
    Are the backups encrypted by the program you are talking about (Time Machine) AND have you ever done a test restore to see if the backup/restore function meets your expectations.

Frankly, I work mostly with PC backups and do not encourage the use of backups that encrypt the data (compression and encrypted format) for the sake of image files. Secondly. I would much rather use a system or build a batch file that copies uncompressed non-encrypted files to a storage drive.

And in the 15 years I have worked on networks and single computers, I can't tell you the number of times I've seen systems where it appeared that all the right steps were taken, and restores were not properly functional.

Also, any program that encrypts data into one single large file, to be unfolded at restoration, implies that the same program that created the encrypted file will still be in use or available to re-install to get at the encrypted data. Then there is the issue of progressive backups which simpy create a file from the last backup. So, where is the file you may need for a partial restore.

Many people take all the "right" or suggested steps to protect their files, but stop short of a full understanding of the actual process chosen.

That's one of the strong points of raid... two drives writing concurrently inside the machine, both with all the files individually accessible. Then for off site (house fire?, theft of computer?) a separate high quality external drive with the files copied to it manually or a scheduled batch file, but not an encrypted process.

In fact, the bottom line on encryption as most backup programs do, is whether there is any impact on quality by the compression process used.

OK.. I checked on the internet, and it appears that Time Machine does use an encryption routine (suspected...most format backup programs do) and it offers the opportunity to do incremental backups, which I absolutely reject (My personal concern)

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzano View Post
    Are the backups encrypted by the program you are talking about (Time Machine) AND have you ever done a test restore to see if the backup/restore function meets your expectations.

Frankly, I work mostly with PC backups and do not encourage the use of backups that encrypt the data (compression and encrypted format) for the sake of image files. Secondly. I would much rather use a system or build a batch file that copies uncompressed non-encrypted files to a storage drive.

And in the 15 years I have worked on networks and single computers, I can't tell you the number of times I've seen systems where it appeared that all the right steps were taken, and restores were not properly functional.

Also, any program that encrypts data into one single large file, to be unfolded at restoration, implies that the same program that created the encrypted file will still be in use or available to re-install to get at the encrypted data. Then there is the issue of progressive backups which simpy create a file from the last backup. So, where is the file you may need for a partial restore.

Many people take all the "right" or suggested steps to protect their files, but stop short of a full understanding of the actual process chosen.

That's one of the strong points of raid... two drives writing concurrently inside the machine, both with all the files individually accessible. Then for off site (house fire?, theft of computer?) a separate high quality external drive with the files copied to it manually or a scheduled batch file, but not an encrypted process.
    In fact, the bottom line on encryption as most backup programs do, is whether there is any impact on quality by the compression process used.
    Kuzano, You are talking computer geek greek to me, I'm just a simple country boy from Michigan. My understanding or the lack there of is that Time Machine backs up the entire computer hard drive and whatever is on it onto a portable hard drive for if and when your computer crashes you just need to reload it from the back up in it's entirety. If it's encrypted and all those other techgeek words is way over my head. Since I have all the discs for the programs I have and triple and quadruple back ups with discs of all the work I have ever done I really don't care if the Time Machine doesn't work like I expect it too but hope that it does since it should save me a lot of time if it does. If not I'll hire the tech geek from the Mac shop to come over and restore my stuff since his time is way cheaper than mine.

When you think about the big picture here, the files i.e. picture and billing receipts and those things that go into running the business are more important to me than the hardware since you can replace it with off the shelve items and reload from the old back ups. Hardware these days is like have a toaster and really who needs a toaster repairman anymore.
    Last edited by Greg Lockrey; 20-Aug-2008 at 21:40.
    Greg Lockrey

Money is just a tool.