Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: workflow with laptop while on the road

Re: workflow with laptop while on the road

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    Kuzano, You are talking computer geek greek to me, I'm just a simple country boy from Michigan.
    I understand your comment and will try to boil it down.
    Since you are from Michigan... as I was in the forties (Upper peninsula-Manistique), I think I can speak your language. It's just easier for me to "speak geek".

Here goes:

the word "backup" implies the use of a program the automates making a set of files to "recover" in the event of disaster. A formal BACKUP Program usually encrypts the data. Encryption means to take the tens of thousands of files on your computer and cram them into ONE file and make that ONE file smaller than the sum of the total of all the files. The files have to be compressed into an unrecognizable single format that only the backup program can unlock.

That should be the first cause for concern.

1) Is it possible that compressing all your image files affects the quality, if that is your only source of the images in event of a disaster? I am not alluding to your document or business files here, but remember they are all jammed together in that one "backup" file.

2) What if a few years go by and you still have those encrypted files, but no longer have a computer with Time Machine on it. How will you un-encrypt the image files from the larger archive of files.

3) I won't go farther on this as it enters into Super Geek territory.

4) I will go so far as to say this. I would never trust my image files to a formal backup program.

NOW, for the essence of my previous post, let me say that understanding the geek aspect of formal backups is difficult, while not understanding the implications is very risky.

The bottom line is that I would sacrifice risky automation in exchange for a manual process that archives my image files as single files in the uncompressed formats in which I edit them. They would be stored as exact copies on a durable drive or media that can be read far into the future, by simply accessing the device with whatever operating system filed the files away there.

I hope this helps, but will not belabor it further. I can appreciate how confusing these discussions can be via these forums. The essence of my argument is that I am proposing Copies of your files archived (saved away safely), as opposed to formal backups which put individual files at risk for loss and recovery, not to mention quality issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzano View Post
    I understand your comment and will try to boil it down.
    Since you are from Michigan... as I was in the forties (Upper peninsula-Manistique), I think I can speak your language. It's just easier for me to "speak geek".

Here goes:

the word "backup" implies the use of a program the automates making a set of files to "recover" in the event of disaster. A formal BACKUP Program usually encrypts the data. Encryption means to take the tens of thousands of files on your computer and cram them into ONE file and make that ONE file smaller than the sum of the total of all the files. The files have to be compressed into an unrecognizable single format that only the backup program can unlock.

That should be the first cause for concern.

1) Is it possible that compressing all your image files affects the quality, if that is your only source of the images in event of a disaster? I am not alluding to your document or business files here, but remember they are all jammed together in that one "backup" file.

2) What if a few years go by and you still have those encrypted files, but no longer have a computer with Time Machine on it. How will you un-encrypt the image files from the larger archive of files.

3) I won't go farther on this as it enters into Super Geek territory.

4) I will go so far as to say this. I would never trust my image files to a formal backup program.

NOW, for the essence of my previous post, let me say that understanding the geek aspect of formal backups is difficult, while not understanding the implications is very risky.

The bottom line is that I would sacrifice risky automation in exchange for a manual process that archives my image files as single files in the uncompressed formats in which I edit them. They would be stored as exact copies on a durable drive or media that can be read far into the future, by simply accessing the device with whatever operating system filed the files away there.

I hope this helps, but will not belabor it further. I can appreciate how confusing these discussions can be via these forums. The essence of my argument is that I am proposing Copies of your files archived (saved away safely), as opposed to formal backups which put individual files at risk for loss and recovery, not to mention quality issues.
    Argh!!!
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

My apologies....

This is the last time I will share my fifty some years of PC experience and wealth of knowledge outside of a Geek forum for the computer afflicted.

I agree for the most part with many of the posts I have seen on this and other photography forums. There is no workable storage for photographic images that comes close to properly storing negatives and transparencies.

Kuzano has done a fine job of explanation, and has made good points. This is the 21st century after all, and what he is describing is far from geeky. It's basic stuff.

Real geek stuff is on an entirely different level.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet or not, but you can remove the optical drive in the 17" model and replace it with another hard drive. If you've already paid of AppleCare, this MIGHT void your warranty, unless a certified Apple Service Center could do it for you and guarantee that it would not void your warranty.

I agree with Kuzano that there is really no good system that comes close to properly storing negatives and transparencies. That's one of the reasons why I still shoot film.

You can lose film too, but it's much less effort to hold onto it.

My parents had no problems keeping their slide collection in fine shape, since the 1960's. They just kept them cool and dry, in a box, in the garage.

All tongue in cheek... I am not offended.

I've got to remember to start using those little emoticons, so one can tell when I am operating tongue in cheek. My last post was not because I was offended.

I truly sympathize with the non-geeks in the group, and I teach computer classes, so am always aware of the complexities of boiling this stuff down to street talk.

The digital world is complex and the industry does little to empathize with the language barriers. Geek vs NonGeek.

These forums are surely harder to disseminate information than a classroom environment with handouts and powerpoint presentations.

Data storage is one of the most frustrating areas to deal with. Since much of our memories, much of our art, and some of our livelihood is now being committed to bits and bytes within the computer, the frustration levels with how to protect data files can be worrisome.

Mentioned elsewhere but you might consider a Photoshelter or Digital Railroad account and backing your stuff up online (or just use a hosting service). You can set your laptop up to upload while you sleep, about a gig per hour over fast wifi. They take TIF and PSD files just like a hard drive. When you want to download an image it doesn't take that long....

Always available, totally redundant, multiple server locations = safe backup. Beats loosing hard drives (car crash, power surge, theft, etc.) The price works out to about the same as buying hard drives every year.

You might even sell a few stock images and make some coin.

Of course you can buy more hardware but what happens when disaster hits? It could wipe out your negatives too!