Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: which darkcloth for Chamonix?

Re: which darkcloth for Chamonix?

I have the BlackJacket and I haven't had any issues with it falling off, however, I think it overwhelms the small, light Chamonix 4x5. It's a lot of fabric hanging off of a small camera. I may modify mine to make it shorter and narrower with shorter sleeves, but haven't found the time. I did get one of the new Chamonix folding focusing hoods and will be posting a mini-review in the next day or two.

stompyq, the neck size you have is made for smaller cabinets and won't encompass the camera back and rail, which is the preferred position for the cloth on the Chamonix.

A larger neck lets you get around the focusing bed and the camera back. But, when it is necessary to encompass the entire camera with the neck of the cloth, as is advised with the Shen Hao, Lotus, Ebony, Chanomix and any monorail, the gap (between the bottom of the camera and the rail, or in the case of a folding field camera, the clearance that permits the camera to fold), lets a lot of light in. The BLACKBAG accessory that ships with every BLACKJACKET serves as a light skirt to block that gap.

The BLACKBAG was a solution that was developed specifically from conversations on this forum. I think it works very well and makes an impossible situation tolerable.

Save the funny-looking commentator, the google video demo does a better job of describing its operation. See http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...86050994650067

I have the 8x10 Blackjacket and it works very well on my Sinar P, both with 8x10 and 4x5, but I haven't been too happy so far with it and the Chamonix. Admittedly, though, I've been using very wide angle lenses, 47 to 72mm, which means that there's even less camera for the BlackJacket to hang onto.

I use the Chamonix folding viewer which is amazing...

Quote Originally Posted by Aahx View Post
    You know I bought one of those and hate it for my Chamoinx... The elastic compressed the bellows if I push it foward, and the seam at the bottom interfieres with focusing if I pull it back so it's not compressing the bellows. It also is pain to use when trying rear tilt. So I am back to using my old hand made lightwieght 2.5' x 2.5' cloth with little velcro strip on two corners.
    Strange, I didn't have that problem with my Chamonix and the BTZS hood. However, I used mine very little before selling it, maybe I would have noticed a problem if I had used the camera more. Or maybe they've changed the hood a little, I've had mine for about 10 years.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS View Post
    I have the BlackJacket and I haven't had any issues with it falling off, however, I think it overwhelms the small, light Chamonix 4x5. It's a lot of fabric hanging off of a small camera. I may modify mine to make it shorter and narrower with shorter sleeves, but haven't found the time. I did get one of the new Chamonix folding focusing hoods and will be posting a mini-review in the next day or two.
    Barry, I'm waiting for that review! I did not know Chamonix were making accessories such as this, but it would sure beat using a darkcloth at times. As of now, I'm using a bath towel until I have the time to sew up something!

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Strange, I didn't have that problem with my Chamonix and the BTZS hood. However, I used mine very little before selling it, maybe I would have noticed a problem if I had used the camera more. Or maybe they've changed the hood a little, I've had mine for about 10 years.

It quite possibly is the way I use my view camera. I feel much more comfortable using rear tilt as opposed to front tilt for my landscape work. And with just a drape type cloth I can work on the camera under the cloth without it getting in the way. I feel constricted under the BTZS hood trying to access those side mounted controls, as well as the focusing knob at the bottom on the Chamonix.
    Søren

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams-

Good lord, you guys make me feel like a neanderthal! I'm still using a nearly 30-year old piece of black cloth with metal nuts sewn into the corners. It does slip off now and then, but since my knuckles drag on the ground it's easy to pick it up

Yikes, do you actually have to buy a designer item to adorn a Chamonix?

WalMart sells huge black towels (made in China) for $4.

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

Add two screws not fully engaged on each the top and bottom of the rear standard. That will help the darn thing from sliding off. Frankly, I don't know how anyone can use that jacket thing and have a pleasant experience.