Thread: Experience with Lightware MF 1217 Case?

Smile Experience with Lightware MF 1217 Case?

Anyone using the Lightware MF 1217 case for their LF gear? I want to use it to house my Chamonix 4x5, 3 lenses, Lee filter system, film and possible meters. At the moment I'm using a Fishpond Stowaway Reel Case ($69US) inside my favourite travel backpack for bushwalking landscape work with tripod over the shoulder.

Problem is the case is a fraction too small to carry that amount of gear. I'm looking for a padded bag/case that is around 42cm x 30cm x 15cm inside which is the MF 1217 measurement (and is carry on for air travel) but I'm hesitating at paying around $300US just for the name and the tag of it being a camera bag!

Comments from anyone in the Forum with experience with the 1217 or can suggest an alternative would be very welcome.

Regards

Dave

Re: Experience with Lightware MF 1217 Case?

I have many lightware cases, not the one you are looking at, but all of them are, IMHO, worth the money. They are great bags, well made and logically laid out.

I use a medium format case (i do not recall the model) that is carry on, a zips open like suit case and can be reconfigured based on the needs of the trip, I use it for 6x4.5, 4x5 and 35mm dit cam with a laptop.

If the case is the best layout and size for you is another matter,
    but as the brand goes, it will serve you well.

Dave, I have a number of Lightware cases - they are worth every penny.

I do have a 1217 but honestly don't use it that much. IMHO, it is much too big for the gear that you mention for normal "out of the car" style shooting. However for air travel it is perfect.

Thanks Allen and Robert. I'm thinking the Lightware range may be the best way to go. I've looked at Kata, Lowepro Omni, Tamrac Strongbox and a couple of others plus fishing bags etc but still come back to the Lightware.

The Fishpond bag is excellent for my 6x7 format and others as well being light yet strong for protection. If only it were about 6 or 7 cm longer and a couple of cms wider, it would be near perfect for what I need it to do with the Chamonix!

Anybody have any alternatives?

Regards

Dave

Lightware bags are really well made and practically designed. I don't have the bag you're considering, but I'm very happy with my Lightware light stand case.

Kata bags are also well made, very protective, and the new versions have modular options, like a waist pack that attaches to a backpack. I got the waist pack for my 2x3" Technika kit, and it's working out very well.

Thanks David for your comments. I think everyone is confirming that Lightware is an excellent choice.

The Kata range of bags etc are interesting. I didn't know they made modular options because I only investigated the Maze 1 and 2 bags.

Regards

Dave

Happy to say I've just picked up a MF 1217 in the US courtesy of a Forum member. Many thanks for all the contributions.

Regards

Dave

Keep an eye on the velcro on the Lightware cases. We have some problems at work with it coming off the dividers. Mind you, commercial photographers can be pretty hard on gear, especially if they don't own it. Personally, I've used a large Lightware case for years, and it's in great shape.

Thanks Peter. I'll keep a lookout for that problem. And thanks again for everyone's help.

Regards

Dave