Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overexposed negatives when tilting lens

Re: Overexposed negatives when tilting lens

Hi Jason,

I don't know that I'd put as much faith in my shutters to let me know if things were right. Not all shutters function the same. My Copals won't allow me to fire the shutter when open for focus, but my Compur fires and closes without a hitch ... which would give me no clue that the press-focus had been open when I fired it. All I'm suggesting is that generic working methods may be a bit more reliable. Some advocate keeping a written check list of steps to follow each time so that they develop an ingrained habit that sticks with them no matter which lens/shutter they happened to be using.

Let us know how you do as you shoot more film and use those swing/tilts, shift/rise, etc.

One more thought ... when a negative is grossly overexposed all over ... I wouldn't immediately suspect that I was running out of the image circle when the exposure was made ... that would normally result in underexposed areas ... usually in a arc pattern. So, if you look at your negative it should be relatively normal except for lighter to clear areas in the corner(s) edge(s) which are out of the image circle, or in areas where there is light fall-off.

Sort of similar for light leaks ... I'd expect to see darker areas in the effected areas which may be clues as to to the location of the leak(s).

Another thought ... was the film holder properly seated in the camera back?

8>)

Re: Overexposed negatives when tilting lens

Hey Fred,

I checked the bellows today and also removed the focusing glass while tilting the front standard up and down and everything seemed fine. I'm going to guess that I didn't seat the holder properly in the camera back. I feel like I check each time to make sure its seated properly, but in the midst of excitement, I may have forgotten!

Bit busy to do more "scientific" tests but once I have some free time, I'll definitely put a few more sheets through.

I really didn't think shooting LF would be so overwhelming, but it really is quite different from shooting digital and 120 roll film. However, I'm finding it quite enjoyable and well worth the extra work!

Thanks,

Jason