Hi- I posted this over at the hybrid site, but I thought I'd put it here too: I know this is a loaded and open ended question, but I was wondering if digital negs are approaching the quality found in in-camera negatives. Obviously neg quality increases with scan quality and printer quality, but is it reasonable to expect to enlarge a 4x5 or 5x7 in-camera neg to 8x10, 11x14, 16x20 using a consumer flatbed scanner (e.g. Epson V750) and printed on a consumer printer (e.g. Epson 3800) and get a print that is difficult to distinguish from one made with an in- camera neg of equal size? I know in-camera is better, and it depends on the process/paper nap as far as quality goes for grain and image sharpness, but I'm just wondering if today's technology is getting close for normal viewing distances. The reason I ask is that I'm at a point where I would consider an 8x10 camera for a larger contact print, but going the digital enlargement route would be of similar price and much more versatile for my photography in general. I currently have a 5x7 camera with an additional 4x5 reducing back and contact print on traditional silver and also am doing Ziatype.

Thanks,
Tim