Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your long exposures here

Re: Post your long exposures here

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Here's a wedding shot, the length of the ceremony. See all the flashes?
    I have to ask... you didn't know how long the ceremony was going to last, you measured the light with a light meter and you got some reading... how do you go into translating that into this perfect exposure with all the adjustments you need to take in consideration (because of the long exposure)? Luck? Photoshop? Experience?

long branch saloon, luning, NV.

Schneider 270mm G-Claron. 11 minutes. Of note was my poor planning. The tripod was in the pickup bed to get the elevation I wanted. I was in a 'rest area' across highway 95 from the saloon. It was late November and it was about 13 degrees. If I opened the truck door to get inside to keep warm it would jiggle the camera. Not only that, I had no time piece. So I walked briskly round and round the truck to try not to freeze to death and counted out the minutes sticking out a finger to keep track of each minute counted. No, Virginia, I don't have 11 fingers. When trucks would pass in front I would hold up a broom to block the lens.

The Rookie

Great job Jim. I've been to that place many times. You got me beat. I have to unzip to count to eleven.
    Yeah. I'm familiar with Photoshop. It's the place I buy my film.

The Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Francesco Gallarotti View Post
    I have to ask... you didn't know how long the ceremony was going to last, you measured the light with a light meter and you got some reading... how do you go into translating that into this perfect exposure with all the adjustments you need to take in consideration (because of the long exposure)? Luck? Photoshop? Experience?
    I'm still confused about reciprocity. How does one figure it out for such a long exposure?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Here's a wedding shot, the length of the ceremony. See all the flashes?
    damn, that's Art, Frank

good job

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post

long branch saloon, luning, NV.

Schneider 270mm G-Claron. 11 minutes. Of note was my poor planning. The tripod was in the pickup bed to get the elevation I wanted. I was in a 'rest area' across highway 95 from the saloon. It was late November and it was about 13 degrees. If I opened the truck door to get inside to keep warm it would jiggle the camera. Not only that, I had no time piece. So I walked briskly round and round the truck to try not to freeze to death and counted out the minutes sticking out a finger to keep track of each minute counted. No, Virginia, I don't have 11 fingers. When trucks would pass in front I would hold up a broom to block the lens.
    I'm surprised you don't carry an "emergency" kit of a blanket or a big towel, it's tough to stay warm in Michigan when your car stalls or skids off the icy winter roads. I always have a big fleece blanket in the trunk. I know it gets cold in Nevada too.

You carry a broom?

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Baird View Post
    You carry a broom?
    not usually but it was in the truck from a previous dump run.

Oh I made them stop the ceremony halfway through, the photo was more important than some dumb wedding LOL.

Actually I think it was EV 2-3 so I figured it was a couple of minutes wide open, so I stuck about three of my darkest filters (PL, Red, Green, etc.) on for maybe a 8 or 10x factor, and just left it open for a little before and during the whole ceremony and the couple's departure, then I remembered I left the 4x5 up there. Maybe 90 minutes? The exposure is off by a couple of stops so a lot of that is heroic Photoshop work, but I've found just educated guessing works as well as anything else.

That's the only commercial wedding I ever did, I never liked the idea of being a wedding photographer. Given the economy I should reconsider doing them though.

3d Visual Effects artist

Ok, this is my first attempt at a long shutter speed! I was originally going to try this shot in color, but I decided I'd try it in B&W (tri-x 320) since I can process it myself for cheaper. 2 hour long shutter, 90mm at f8, focused on the moon, waited for the moon to go down, then opened the shutter for 2 hours.

I'm pleased with it! Though I think the 90mm is distorting the star patterns, and 5 or 6 hours would look better than 2 hours!

Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

The Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Buck View Post
    Ok, this is my first attempt at a long shutter speed! I was originally going to try this shot in color, but I decided I'd try it in B&W (tri-x 320) since I can process it myself for cheaper. 2 hour long shutter, 90mm at f8, focused on the moon, waited for the moon to go down, then opened the shutter for 2 hours.

I'm pleased with it! Though I think the 90mm is distorting the star patterns, and 5 or 6 hours would look better than 2 hours!
    I personally like the effect you got with the 90mm.

I'm not too sure about the longer times. That would give the moonlight more time to pollute the rest of the picture and the star streaks wouldn't stand out enough. The streaks would also become lines that go completely through the picture. Right now you have just enough exposure from the moonlight to make the hills stand out without too much effect on the star trails.

I like it.