Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What 'project' are you working on?

Re: What 'project' are you working on?

A project that started as an excuse to spend my lunch hours walking in the woods has started to gel into a survey of the ghosts of pre C20th woodmanship that live on as patterns in the local flora, and as unquestioned tradition in local gardening styles.

Ted Mishima

I went to a jazz club a little over a week ago and found some great faces, both in the crowd and the musicians playing. When I get some subjects, I'll probably shoot digital or Hasselblad and those that I feel I can work with, I'll try some 4x5 down the road.

Working on projects or series is important to keep your chops in check. If you not behing the camera shooting, you won't be as good as you can be!

Yoga asanas (poses) in the studio with my 8x10 sometimes with a 5x7 reducing back.

negative scans from the sessions here

http://www.danschmidt.com/ProofScans/

in general i don't like simple viewer , but it is nice for displaying large numbers of images

3d Visual Effects artist

shooting race cars with a focal-plane speedgraphic, (for those interesting leaning effects)
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

I have 2 long term projects:

• One called "Texas from the side of the road" - - I take non-interstate roads wherever possible and stop to photograph along the way, not entering onto anyones' private property, just road shoulders and parking lots.
    • The other started out being called "Closed" but over the past year has become
      "Abandoned" - - a subset of closed.

But shooting abandoned things has led me to photographing historical things as well which are not abandoned... although I prefer the abandoned ones more than the touristified ones.
    Last edited by wclavey; 11-Aug-2008 at 15:20. Reason: Bad spelling

"Views of Snow-Gums", a cycle of about thirty 8x10 gelatin silver contacts celebrating the last intact grove of ancient snow-gum trees on earth.

Australia has millions of snow-gum trees that live only between 1100 and 1850 metres altitude. They are the antipodean equivalent of Bristle-Cone pines and can be huge, ancient, gnarled, and sometimes wider in the trunk than they are high. Unfortunately Australia catches fire often so old unburnt trees are rare.

This photographic effort is a "project", not a "visual diary", because it has a beginning, an end, and an internal unity. Two weeks of camera work, four months of darkroom sessions, collating and sequencing have been done. Now comes signing, titling, and annotating so that if someone picks up the set (or just one piece) tomorrow or two hundred years from now it still makes sense and can be read as intended.

After that I'm off to do a group of body-painters; sort of August Sander meets Diane Arbus meets Richard Avedon. Gulp!
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Just waiting to be developed..

The first one and the most important to me is a family album in 4x5. Its something that is very important to all of us. My family is getting older and I want a record of my grandparents, parents, siblings....

The second is documenting the old railroad that used to run from NY to boston. Most of the old railroad is long gone but the ruins of it are hidden and make for some great pictures.

Both of them are long term but fun!
    -Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express

Well, as part of the Texas Church Project - old Texas Churches along with some other photographers.

Other projects - one for my wife on stars (as she calls them Texas stars - or stars found in Texas), small towns, buildings from pre-1900 through the 1940's, lawn furniture (can't seem to get this one going other than seeing what I should be photographing).
    Mike Castles
    My Web Site
    Rambles

I have been on-again, off-again shooting American flags. Not sure where the project's going but it is fun when I run accross a flag. Nice little suprise every now and then.

Hopelessly Lost

I have been on the road for 15 weeks now and have been shooting my travels west and North. I am going to be circumnavigating (correct term???) North America for a whole year and shooting any and everything. As of right now, I have two solid bodies of work right now - The Human Condition and Solitary. They are unnamed on my website but you can get an idea of what I am talking about.

www.hollisbennett.com
    www.hollisbennett.com

Huh? Oh, right, keep moving.