Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What 'project' are you working on?

What 'project' are you working on?

I need a whack on the side of the head to get me out in the world and shoot some film. I need a new idea for a photo project. What are you working on? Care to share your subject ideas with others?

I was working on the idea of windows and frames -- it's interesting how the world is reframed twice: once by the camera frame and once by the window you are shooting through.

Got any urban landscape ideas? Wilderness ideas? Any ideas appreciated.

Re: What 'project' are you working on?

I'm starting a series of B&W abstracts of urban graffiti. I carry a Mamiya 6 with me in the car & shoot whatever I see. If I like what I develop, I plan on going back either with the 4x5 or, ideally, the 8x10 for images to contact print.

Portraits of mules who work at commercial pack stations. Local wineries and vineyards with a ULF pinhole wine barrel camera. Historic churches. I have an ongoing project of recording whats left of the nieghborhood I grew up in before it evaporates into history (but for some reason I'm doing it on 127 format because it seems more appropriate) Night photography, especially of brilliantly lighted places like amusement parks. Trails that meander off into nature. And anything rusty.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I have taken up shooting a huge expressway interchange that is getting a 1.6 billion dollar overhaul. The demolition and reconstruction will take 6 years. That gives me time to make a few frames along the way.

I also shoot the changing of the Lachine Canal, from the life line of shipping an industry, to dead and shut down, when the current seaway opened in 59, to making a comeback with condos, bike paths etc. I started to shoot when they announced the cleanup and re-opening of the canal a few years ago. I wish I had shot more when it was just rotting, it has lost its charm now that it is being "Yuppified"!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Karnezis View Post
    I'm starting a series of B&W abstracts of urban graffiti. I carry a Mamiya 6 with me in the car........
    Sweet camera, great project. Graffiti is out of control in most cities and the bulk of it is not art, just "tags". But when it is good, it is really good!

Long term project -- portraits of my boys in the landscape...8x10 in palladium/platinum

Short term project -- handmade book of images from this summer...2 1/4 x 2 1/4 images in palladium/platinum.

Continous project -- learn how to see better through photographing the light on the landscape...prints in platinum/palladium and in carbon, 8x10 and also now a 5x7.

Vaughn

Here's my project for the last several years, focusing on Marin and Sonoma counties in Northern California.
    Duncan Dwelle

I put up my new website with galleries, and looking at the pictures decided that I needed to make a sharp turn and shake the cage.

8x10 portraits on the street. I give myself one expeosure per person, so I need to learn to get it right!

I'm also contact printing 5x7 and 8x10 pictures from last year's trip to Maine.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Pollock View Post
    -snip
    I was working on the idea of windows and frames -- it's interesting how the world is reframed twice: once by the camera frame and once by the window you are shooting through.

Got any urban landscape ideas? Wilderness ideas? Any ideas appreciated.
    Bruce, not a bad idea at all. It's been more than 9 months that I shoot a view from my window (South, without the window frame but framed in the camera). A third of the frame is filled with generous tree crowns (mighty chestnuts) in the foreground, ever changing in the season and light, the other part is a maze of roofs on historical buildings and on the top of it a great deal of sky with clouds and lights that never cease to amaze me. I have taken about 40 strong pictures - morning, evening, full light, Autumn, winter etc. and there is a potential for three times more, at least. Sometimes I just sit in an armchair, admiring the spectacle - it changes almost by a minute and shows so many variants that it is incredible. My friends cannot believe that it is a simple view out of a window, they thought some kind of a touristic viewpoint!
    All this taken at whatever weather in the piece of my home. Great wall pictures too!

Richard M. Coda

I've been documenting Phoenix, AZ. It started out as one project but has evolved into several. Started out doing older buildings that have seen better days, then I went downtown and started doing newer office building abstracts, then I started doing old-fashioned street photography (with the 8x10), then I finally got good at doing color...

They key, is to make it routine. I go out almost every Sunday morning before the girls get up, and am usually back by 10-11 AM. By routine, I don't mean boring... just make it a part of your weekly schedule – something you HAVE to do. And don't forget to treat yourself right, too... make sure you get a nice cup of coffee and a good breakfast while you're out!

Check my website and blog out for some pics.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"