Thread: Shore Uncommon Places - Aperture vs Thames and Hudson

Shore Uncommon Places - Aperture vs Thames and Hudson

Earlier this year, I ordered from amazon.com a copy of "Uncommon Places, The complete works" Aperture 2004, but amazon.com failed to deliver. I see that it is now offered in the marketplace at $250+ for new copies, so now I am trying not to let it pass by.

However, a book with the same title, is still available from Thames and Hudson for $40.

What is the difference between the Thames and Hudson and the Aperture book ? The number of pages and trim look very close but not identical.

Regarding T&H, I saw that they also has something that looks almost the same as the Koudelka retrospective whose Aperture version sold out quickly. T&H has a a main website, and a USA website. Uncommon places is listed on the main site, but not on the USA site. What is the relationship between Thames and Hudson (they are from the UK) and Aperture ? Is there a reason (like worse printing) why the Thames and Hudson copies appear less desirable according to market price, or is it just a collector thing, since the Aperture would be the first edition ?

Regarding Uncommon places, I assume the new edition is preferable (from a photographer point of view) to the first one from the 80s, since it includes many more images, right ?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Re: Shore Uncommon Places - Aperture vs Thames and Hudson

I think the new edition has quite a bit more work from the project. It also has a new essay, and some other supporting materials. Most likely it's printed better, too.

Hmmm, I'll have to check my copy when I get home. It is the re-release from a few years(?) ago. Printing seems pretty good to my eye.

well, I have the version published by Aperture. If you end up buying the Thames and Hudson version, I'd be happy to loan you mine for comparison.

thames and hudson are a fine publishers, looks like the same book to me, books tend to command higher prices if they are first editions, i'd buy with confidence.

QT,
    i have a brand new, still in plastic wrap, Aperture version that I would sell.

they are the same book and same edition (aperture/Thames and Hudson). I think T&H is just an overseas distributor and so the books have a different publishers stamp. Get the koudelka book if you can, it is said not to be published again.