Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does one order Chamonix cameras?

How does one order Chamonix cameras?

Hello,
    I use a Wisner 4x5 tech field camera and love it. But...

What with Wisner's current situation (no parts, accessories, desire to do business) I am concerned that one day I may be out of luck if anything happens to my beloved camera.

I have done some cursory research about the Chamonix cameras and now am seeking current Chamonix user's opinions about the camera.

What is the cost?
    How well is it made?
    What do you love about the camera?
    What do you hate about the camera?
    What would you change about the camera?
    Do anyone else's accessories work with the camera? (lensboards, bellows etc.)
    Has anyone needed repairs to this camera yet? If so, how are they handled?

I have read that there are different formats available along with the requisite specialized film holders. Does the 4x5 model take "standard" film holders?

I apologize if these have been asked and answered before but the search function hasn't been very helpful so far.

Thank you in advance,

Randy

Re: How does one order Chamonix cameras?

Randy,

Contact Hugo, with your requirements, and I am sure he will be able to get you set up with what you require..

Here is a link to his profile...

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ber.php?u=6610

Dave

Taking nothing away from the very well made Chinese camera, The Chamonix, or say the Japanese Ebony, but here's a reminder that there are quality cameras made in the United States, too.

I like my KB Canham. http://www.canhamcameras.com/

Hugo Zhang: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ber.php?u=6610
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Thank you both for your responses. Dave, I emailed Mr. Zhang today. He emailed me with the information that I needed. Again, I'm in no hurry to buy another camera but since my Wisner is sort of extinct, I was just looking to see what my options may be.

Walter, thank you for reminding me of Canham's cameras. I agree that the quality of American made cameras is very high - my Wisner is proof to me of that.

Best to all and thank you again,
    Randy

In addition to the very fine cameras that Mr. Canham has designed, Let's not forget the fine cameras by Mr. Wehman, Mr. Phillips and Mr Ritter. In fact, not only has Mr. Ritter designed a beautiful and functional line of modern cameras he also seems happy to service Mr. Wisner's products..

Quote Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
    Thank you both for your responses. Dave, I emailed Mr. Zhang today. He emailed me with the information that I needed. Again, I'm in no hurry to buy another camera but since my Wisner is sort of extinct, I was just looking to see what my options may be.

Walter, thank you for reminding me of Canham's cameras. I agree that the quality of American made cameras is very high - my Wisner is proof to me of that.

Randy
    Randy,
    Please do not consider your camera is extinct. If it eventually needs repair, there are fine craftsmen, such as Richard Ritter, that will put it back into great condition. Ron Wisner's business practices aside, he produced many very fine cameras.

I had a minor issue with my 5x7, i.e. using Linhof Technika boards. After several months of frustration with Ron, I shipped it off to Richard. He made a converter for the front standard to use my default Technika boards, added a knurled brass lock to better secure the boards and checked the camera out. He was prompt, courteous and very reasonably priced.

Just my thoughts. Wisner's are not disposable camera's!!

Cheers,
    Geary

Randy
    I really would not worry unduly about your "extinct" Wisner camera. Just look at all of the Deardorffs that are still used...not to mention the Koronas or the Kodak Masterviews. I photograph with a Wisner 5X7 and would not trade it for anything else. Anything that can wear (such as a bellows) can be manufactured by someone else.

Hello,

What with Wisner's current situation (no parts, accessories, desire to do business) I am concerned that one day I may be out of luck if anything happens to my beloved camera.

I have done some cursory research about the Chamonix cameras and now am seeking current Chamonix user's opinions about the camera.

What is the cost?
    How well is it made?
    What do you love about the camera?
    What do you hate about the camera?
    What would you change about the camera?
    Do anyone else's accessories work with the camera? (lensboards, bellows etc.)
    Has anyone needed repairs to this camera yet? If so, how are they handled?

I have read that there are different formats available along with the requisite specialized film holders. Does the 4x5 model take "standard" film holders?

I apologize if these have been asked and answered before but the search function hasn't been very helpful so far.

Thank you in advance,

Randy
    Hi Randy,

I've not owned a Wisner and am far from experienced in LF terms but I do own a Chamonix 4x5 that I purchased through Hugo.

What is the cost? - Ask Hugo (mine was about $940 Aus dollars landed in Australia)
    How well is it made? - Very well made.
    What do you love about the camera? - light weight, rigidity, ease of use.
    What do you hate about the camera? - not having the funds to by one of their 8x10 cameras.
    What would you change about the camera? - nothing so far.

Chris.

Once again, thank you to all who responded.

I didn't want to give the impression that I am dissatisfied at all with my Wisner. I have been shooting for over 30 years and I certainly know quality workmanship when I see/handle it. True, Mr. Wisner wasn't the best businessman but he certainly knew how to build an incredibly well made and beautiful camera. Having said that, I did have to send it back to the factory for repair about 5 years ago and while I was certainly one of the lucky ones and got it back within 3 weeks, I know how complex it is. Adding in the fact that I am pretty clumsy person, I see the day I may need to have it repaired or replaced.

My "extinct" comment was only intended to imply the lack of factory repair options. I did not know others can repair it should the need arise. I have noted Mr. Ritter's contact information and hope I will never need his services.

As to the other camera manufacturers mentioned in your posts, I thank you again for reminding me about them.

As I said earlier, I love my camera and hope I never need to replace it (and I swear I have never thought of it as disposable )

Now, does anyone know where I can find a graflock back for a Wisner 4x5 Technical Field camera??

Peace,
    Randy

Hello,

Randy
    I have been servicing Wisner cameras for the past 10 years. I keep lens boards in stock and as to anything else It can be made. Destroy the camera it can be put back together.

Spend your money on film and paper. Plus take your love one on a special outing. It is easier then trying to explain why you need a new camera when the one you have works.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net