Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best field camera with movments

Re: Best field camera with movments

I used a Toho FC45x for 5 or so years, and I just received a Chamonix. So far, I prefer the Chamonix by quite a bit. With my Toho the lens and film plane weren't parallel in the starting position, adjusting things was not particularly smooth or easy, one had to tighten down the element that held the bellows frame quite hard, and switching from vertical to horizontal was a bit tedious. With the Chamonix making sure that the the back when extended is parallel with the front standard will take a little more work than on a normal field camera, but so far that's the extent of it's idiosyncrasies.

Anyone looking for a field camera with extensive movements needs to at least consider Richard Ritter's new cameras. Plenty of movements (I think everything except rear rise), loads of belows extension and extremely light weight. I own one and just love it! Check it out. www.lg4mat.net

Dave Karp

I really, really like my Walker Titan SF. It is not just the movements, it is rigid as all get out, and very well made.

It seems like the top runners for me are the Toho, Gandolfi, Chomonix, shen and the Wista if the exchange rate was better. Anyone in the central coast area with any of these cameras that I can test drive??
    http://www.gregoryflanagan.com

"The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition." - Carl Sagan

I am also considering swapping my Tachi for something else (togain better wide angle lens capabilities with 75/4.5) and Chamonix is high on the list. Actually - does the Chamonix have rear or front standard focusing?
    Matus

tim810

Quote Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
    Anyone looking for a field camera with extensive movements needs to at least consider Richard Ritter's new cameras. Plenty of movements (I think everything except rear rise), loads of belows extension and extremely light weight. I own one and just love it! Check it out. www.lg4mat.net
    I second this. The cameras are very well built and about as solid as can be when set up. The rail system will hold his weight but weighs almost nothing. I just own a back built by him and the craftsmanship is amazing!

check it out

i made the plunge with a used wisner 4x5 technical field camera. i am growing to love it. i think one reason is that like Mr. W i like long lens photography. i just wish this thing had the 20+ inch bellows vs the 16". that reminds me of a quesiton i am going to post in another thread...

anyway, i see them popping up used now and then, sometimes at very good prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post
    I am also considering swapping my Tachi for something else (togain better wide angle lens capabilities with 75/4.5) and Chamonix is high on the list. Actually - does the Chamonix have rear or front standard focusing?
    I don't know but, it turns out to be a very important and oft overlooked question I think.

Gregory,

Check your PM. I have a Toho that I'm selling (finished a backpacking project where weight was extremely important). I'm in the Santa Barbara area.

John

i made the plunge with a used wisner 4x5 technical field camera. i am growing to love it. i think one reason is that like Mr. W i like long lens photography. i just wish this thing had the 20+ inch bellows vs the 16"...

anyway, i see them popping up used now and then, sometimes at very good prices.

I purchased a used 4x5 Wisner Technical field, for much less than a new Chinese model. With lots of bellows draw, it lets you shoot with a 450mm Fujinon C at closer than infinity, and lets you get really close with shorter lenses.

If you have to have a folding wooden camera which is rather small and light, it's hard to beat. With brass fittings and a deep red bellows, it also attracts... admirers.