Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Readyloads to be scrapped?

Readyloads to be scrapped?

Hi all,
    I recently heard that Kodak will cease to make the Readyload film holders? Is this correct?

fred

Just waiting to be developed..

Re: Readyloads to be scrapped?

Hi Fred,

Yes. They are also discontinuing all Readyload packets.
    The good news is that Fuji Quickloads are still in production and will fit in the Readyload holder. I use Fuji in my Kodak holder all the time so its not a total loss.
    -Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express

The reason Kodak is discontinuing Readyloads, is that they outsourced the special assembly and packaging to Polaroid, and Polaroid closed all their film manufacturing facilities, hence Kodak could not have the special packs made. Kodak must have made the decision that to start-up in-house production was not going to be profitable.

Question Re: Readyloads to be scrapped?

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    The reason Kodak is discontinuing Readyloads, is that they outsourced the special assembly and packaging to Polaroid, and Polaroid closed all their film manufacturing facilities, hence Kodak could not have the special packs made.
    Would there be some kind of legal wrangling if Kodak redesigned `Readyloads` to fit the Fuji Quickload holder?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
    Would there be some kind of legal wrangling if Kodak redesigned `Readyloads` to fit the Fuji Quickload holder?
    I believe that the patents for both quickloads and readyloads have expired now. If so Kodak could make actual quickload packets. So could Ilford. We all could. I don't see why Kodak would do this though because they already have a readyload holder that works with their packets.

If they won't make the effort to move the existing machines from the Polaroid plant over to some of their empty space in Rochester, I seriously doubt that they'll expend any R&D on redesigning the packet.

It's just sad that they expended the R&D to create a packet system that works well, they designed, tested, and implemented the machines and processes to put the film into readyload format, they've done all the marketing stuff (designing the boxes, logos, brand building, etc.). They don't need to spend any more R&D at all -- just move the machines and implement the existing process. And they would rather drop it all than make the effort. Sad that is.

I'm going to miss readyloads.

Bruce Watson

So, as the market consolidates, we are left with one manufacturer for Instant Film, and Quickload film products. Fortunately, that manufacturer, Fuji seems committed to film.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    So, as the market consolidates, we are left with one manufacturer for Instant Film, and Quickload film products. Fortunately, that manufacturer, Fuji seems committed to film.
    The evidence shows that Kodak is committed to film. Kodak is still performing R&D for both B&W and color films. Remember, the new 400Tmax was introduced just a few months ago, March/April of 2008 IIRC. New Portra films last year.

The last Fuji film introduced IIRC was Velvia 100 which caused a public outcry so big that they found a way to reintroduce Velvia 50 largely unchanged. That was a few years ago, yes? I don't know when they last updated Acros.

Ilford on the other hand seems to be completely out of the R&D picture. They haven't updated an existing film or introduced a new one in what, decades? Yet they always seem to wear the mantel of "committed to film." Hmmm... I don't understand what that is supposed to mean.

If any company is committed to film it's Kodak. What they aren't committed to, is packaging. I'm baffled by the readyload thing, but they aren't dropping a film line, just a package. As things go, not so bad. But I will miss the readyloads.

Bruce Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    The evidence shows that Kodak is committed to film. Kodak is still performing R&D for both B&W and color films. Remember, the new 400Tmax was introduced just a few months ago, March/April of 2008 IIRC.........If any company is committed to film it's Kodak............
    Bruce,

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the remake of Tri-x a few years back, and the T-max afterwards had to do with pacifying the EPA and making changes in production techniques. Which apparently worked in Kodak's favor as they re-worked the line and made it much more efficient at the same time.

Whenever I have called Kodak with an issue, emulsion, filter combos for light sources etc. they have always solved the issue quickly and correctly. For that alone I will stand by Kodak film to the end. Of course, Tri-x is my favorite film anyway...

Now if only Kodak would buy the rights to the Type 55 formula and start making that film again! I would hang George's picture on the wall in my darkroom forever!

Ilford has reintroduced some previously discontinued products in film, and has introduced some new products in photo papers. (Ilford Warmtone)

Ilford has reintroduced some previously discontinued products in film,
    Such as?

and has introduced some new products in photo papers. (Ilford Warmtone)
    This paper has been out for a long time - prior to their reorganization.

Now if they would introduce some of there ol Galerie papers that would be exciting news.

Don Bryant