Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Beech Grove Indiana

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Talking Hello from Beech Grove Indiana

Hello everyone,,

I've been into photography since 1983 and LF since 95... I am a house carpenter by trade and do the photography as a hobby..

I consider myself just an explorer with a camera ... I will explore anything and everything..

I shoot mostly color and print digital but also stepping into B&W darkroom for 1st time.

My choice of format is the 8x10" and used primarily for scenery,still life,architecture..

I'm very glad to have found this site and look forward to visiting it regularly..

I have already been busy reading a lot and have found very interesting topics!

Regards
    Steve

www.reallybigcameras.com

Re: Hello from Beech Grove Indiana

Steve,

Welcome to the board. I was born and spent my youth in Indiana. I grew up in a little town called Union Mills, up near LaPorte and Valparaiso. I spent many, many weekends camping further south at Turkey Run (my favorite - LOVED Trail 3), Brown County, McCormick's Creek, etc. State Parks.

I live in Oregon now and love it out here, but I have some very fond memories (and many fond relatives) back in Indiana.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras

Welcome Steve!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Welcome! We are all just explorers at heart, even if we have been doing it for 30 years.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Hello, Steve: I'm in Elkhart, on the Michigan border about halfway across the state. Are you in the Beech Grove in Marion County, or the other one in Morgan County? I'm also a fan of Turkey Run and try to get down there at least once or twice a year. A fine group of folks, the Midwest Large Format Asylum, usually goes there once a year as well.

In August the Asylum will be having an outing not too far from you (either one!) We're going to Spring Mill State Park, near Mitchell. It's the third weekend (Aug 15, 16, 17) and I expect there will be half a dozen to a dozen of us. Some will camp, some will stay in motels. You don't need to be a member and anyone's welcome to show up for an hour, a day, or the whole weekend. Festivities will start around the campfire Friday night and most of us will pack up to head home sometime Sunday.

We're a pretty easy-going group and all experience levels are represented. Our website is www.Midwestlargeformat.com

Nice to meet you and hope to see you at Spring Mill State Park next month!

Mike Sherck
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Hello Kerry,Mike,John and Kirk,,,

Great to meet you guys.. I was beginning to think I was the only hoosier to shoot LF.

You speak of Turkey Run,, I done some shooting there this last winter.. I'd get there about 45 min. before daylight and leave the truck just as it starts showing twilight..
    I got several good shots there but Shades park just down the road is better,much better for photography.. And then once you get done at Shades do Pine Hills Nature Preserve just down the road from Shades and you will be stunded ...

Another good spot to see is Portland Arch Nature Preserve in Pike county.. It is like a lost world in there... Google the arch for it's history it's very interesting..

Mike, thx for the invite to the group outing.. It sounds like fun.. I know Spring Mill state park and I have found the creek behind the Mill to have promise for good photography.. Maybe I'll stop by if I can get away..!

Some wonderful places in Indiana to see and photograph are:

*Hovey Lake in Posey county,,, huge Sypress trees
    Twin Swamps Nature Preserve ,,Posey county
    *Conrad Savanna Nature Preserve,, Lake county
    Willow Slough FWA , Beaver county
    Woodlands along the Kankakee river near LaSalle FWA West Creek county
    Clifty Falls State Park
    Salamonie river and lake project
    Mississinewa river and Lake project
    Farmland between Peru and Wabash Indiana
    Vincennes Indiana,, oldest town in Indiana
    *Hemlock Cliffs ,, Union county, a must see ! another lost world...
    Yellow Birch Ravine Nature Preserve, Union county
    and last but not least,, The Devils Backbone near Tunnelton in Guthrie county

Regards
    Steve

PS. Mike, Beech Grove in Marion county ,, birth place of actor Terrence Steven Mcqueen..

Hi Steve. Welcome from St. Louis.

You're far from the only large format shootin' Hoosier, Steve! The Asylum has several members in Indianapolis and thereabouts, and there are more of us scattered here and there.

Your list of interesting places in Indiana is welcome. I'm more familiar with stuff in the northern half of the state and will have to try to visit some of the places you mentioned. You made them sound interesting! The Asylum is always looking for new places for outings, too. Thanks!

At Spring Mills, a number of us are camping at the park camp ground. One of our Asylum members was good enough to reserve a small block of campsites. If you find the time to stop by, you'd be welcome. At dawn and dusk I imagine we'll be out photographing somewhere (and probably all hours in between, too!) but there will probably be folks nearby at meal times and after dark for certain. I'll be at campsite 410.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Hello Diane,, St. Louis ROCKS !

Hello Steve

Welcome to the large format world. I am in Fort Wayne, Indiana.