Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Struggling with 4x5, looking for advice

Re: Struggling with 4x5, looking for advice

Lots of good advice, but it's got me thinking "what kinds of subjects float your boat?"

Monorails can be field cameras, but IMHO they are easiest to use in a studio or on "location" such as an architectural study or portrait.

Also, what is it about large format that you like? Perspective control? The details recorded by a big negative?

These are two things worth thinking about when searching for a solution.
    If it is a subject issue, there are delightful little lightwieght woodies out there that will provide more than adequate movements. If the big negative is what you're after there are Graphics and Technikas that can be handheld and swiftly put into action nearly as fast as a Hasselblad or RB-67.

Getting back to your own gear. If your problem is one of inspiration then rather than getting a new camera I suggest giving yourself a few challenging assignments. Such exercises might give you a new respect for the kit you do have as well maybe kicking your creative juices up a notch.
    Good luck!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Tim k View Post
    F
    Here's my problem;
    I'm halfway through the trip, and every time we go somewhere I tend to grab a little camera, and those seem to be the best of my images.
    Lots of good advice above. I had a similar problem getting into 4x5 until I accepted the "you gotta take it with you every time" maxim. The key for you is to overcome the tendency to just take the little one, but a heavy Pelikan reinforces that. So I have everything in one backpack, ready to go ( 4x5 and digital backpack ) and it's chosen for lightness and not too heavy to just "grab" If the light's fading rapidly, I have digital, but otherwise I have the time AND the equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim k View Post
    Suck it up, and try harder.
    Jeez photography is supposed to be enjoyable not a task!
    You left out another option: get a handheld 4x5, with a grafmatic back.

One other thing, I would highly recommend that you purchase 'Finely Focused: A Guide to Traditional Large Format Photography' by Bruce Barlow here is a thread about the new version:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...finely+focused

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by bensyverson View Post
    This assumes that you can only shoot ONE format well, which is just hogwash.
    You are confusing what I said with what you wanted to hear. The hogwash therefore is yours, not mine.

Bruce Watson

Get some foam pipe insulation, and put it on your tripod legs.

Then mount the camera on the tripod and leave it permanently attached. Carry the camera over your shoulder with the tripod legs fully extended. Think of this as one portable unit.

Get a little back pack for lenses, holders, meter etc.

Set up for a new shot should take almost no time. You will be in a picture taking frame of mind.

Works for me, although I do prefer field cameras.

Let me fill in a couple more of the blanks for you.

Landscape, momma nature, is what floats my boat.
    This is a hobby, or perhaps an obsession.
    The first goal I had was to get a large color print on the wall, although that might be changing a bit. So, 4x5 seemed like a great way to go.
    I enjoy learning new things. Since I knew nothing about 4x5, it qualified.

I read somewhere that there is nothing photographic more than 100 yards from your vehicle. (or something close to that) That is pretty much my deal. So I thought I could make the monorail work in the field. Hiking is not my thing, but I do enjoy driving over things to get to a nice spot.

After reading your posts, I think I need to ditch the Pelican. The thing must weigh 50 pounds. But it is handy having everything there, but if its at home, not so handy. I like the idea of the backpack. But I'm not sure if I can pull that off with the monorail.

Thanks again, your posts have been very helpful.

Check out stuff from Photobackpacker http://www.photobackpacker.com/home.asp

I'm pretty sure Bruce is working on a case for monorail cameras, he has been very good responding to my e-mails. If you send him a message he will reply.

Scott

Hello Tim,

Welcome to LF photography.
    I started in LF with a salvaged Crown Grafic press camera. It had been stripped of all things "press"; no FP shutter, no range finder, no body release, no leather (not even the strap!) and it had been painted black. Well, I could afford it at the time. There were NO movements. As the Graphic cameras do, it all folded up into itself with the lens mounted in place. To set it up I slid it onto the tripod's quick-release, opened the front bed and slid the front standard out to the infinity stops…about as quickly as I can type it out at my blazing 22 wpm. This woreked reallty well for me on a trip to the Grand Canyon. It all packed into a back-to-school book bbag stuffed with cut up foam.

Well I wanted MOVEMENTS and eventually got a Burk & James wooden field camera; a 5x7 with a reducing back. Talk about extension and movements! Used it for years, learned the craft of view camera manipulations, had fun, and shot only from my car...the total kit was a load.

I now have an early Zone-IV. It has limited extension (12") and could be a more rigid when set-up. But it is petite and light-weight (and pretty). Our son gave me a Pelican case for it all; looks professional, roles around and fits in an airline over-head etc. Yet, as you have found, it is cumbersome.

What do I shoot with? I found that most of the outfit (what I actually need) fits into an old 35mm bag! The camera and a few film holders along with a carbon tripod all sling on a shoulder, under my seat or even in my lap. I can go anywhere with this rig.

Try a smaller/lighter camera ( I've been thinking about a Razzle). Cut down on what you need for the shoot at hand and pack it into a compact camera bag. I use no dividers inside and separate the items in "velvet" Crown-Royal bags that I buy on e-bay. This strategy might work for you.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I can't remember who I sold it to, but I sold my Monorail, and sent it to the guy inside a backpack.

It was a fair-sized LAPTOP backpack, which meant front pocket, main pocket, laptop pocket. There were numerous other smaller pockets.

In that bag I fitted the complete Calumet 45N, disassembled to a point, with at least two lenses on boards, film holders, accessories like light meter, and there was space to share.

I then used the drink holder on the side, and one of the straps, to attach the tripod.

It wasn't light, but it was comfortable.