Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Struggling with 4x5, looking for advice

Re: Struggling with 4x5, looking for advice

Something light that folds up is a pretty good idea if you're going to stick it out with large format, but the advice you have been given regarding style is sound. Large format has the potential to improve one's 35mm and digital photography tremendously, and the smaller formats are in many ways more challenging. But you have to have interest to make something, so if you don't you can bag it with a clear conscience.

Tim,
    I have gradually worked toward a lighter rig, and I'm ready for the next step. The main thing is to be familiar with your gear, so you can set up quickly, and get the shot. The second thing is to be there (actually that's the first thing). I you feel that you're not getting the shots that you want, what did you want? Softer light? Sunset? Dawn? I wanted a certain shot of Mt Whitney through an arch, I had to camp there to get it, as I wouldn't have got up early enough to get it otherwise. Do what you have to to be there when you want.
    A lighter rig will help get out there, familiarity with your equiptment will get the shot (at least more often), and familiarity with the location will help get the shot you want.
    When I first started with 4x5, I used a Nagaoka field camera and a Tiltal tripod and 1 lens. I could fit everything but the tripod in the tank bag on my motorcycle. Now I tend to work out of my van, with the camera on the tripod, and the lenses and film packets in a satchel at my side. I can carry about 10 sheets of film and 3 lenses, as long as I don't go more than a mile from the van. I did do the Methuselah loop in may and was wanting a lighter rig and backpack by the second mile marker!
    Stick with it, try to keep it simple.
    Good Luck
    Dave Hally

Quote Originally Posted by Tim k View Post
    I'm halfway through the trip, and every time we go somewhere I tend to grab a little camera, and those seem to be the best of my images. I have, on several occasions went out taking only the 4x5, and while the time seems more relaxing (enjoyable) but I never seem to be at the right place at the right time with the big rig.
    I can't believe I'm going to say this. But... you have to make a commitment. The little cameras will always be "easier" because that's the primary design function of most smaller format cameras. LF can give you a higher quality image because that's it's primary design function.

Decide which you want. Then stop using the other one. Because if you don't stop using the small cameras and commit to conquering the learning curves for LF, you'll never get good at it. And therefore you'll never really be happy with it.

So if you really are lazy as you say you are, make it work for you. Take the easy route and just use one camera system for your work. Less to pack, less to futz with, and one less decision to be made.

Now, what others are saying applies also. Especially about your using what is thought of as a studio camera for exterior work. A field camera would almost certainly make your life easier -- your whole kit needs to be optimized for the work you are going to try to do.

That said, it ain't the tools that are the problem here. You know this. The problem here is that you can't decide. And none of us can help you with that. You are the only one who can know what you really want.

Sorry. And good luck.

Bruce Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    Decide which you want. Then stop using the other one. Because if you don't stop using the small cameras and commit to conquering the learning curves for LF, you'll never get good at it. And therefore you'll never really be happy with it.
    This assumes that you can only shoot ONE format well, which is just hogwash.

There are many different cameras and formats out there because they all have different strengths. Sure, you can shoot wildlife or sports with an 8x10, but does that make it the best option? DSLRs are made for that type of fast, tight shooting. And sure, you can make a 60" landscape print from a DSLR, but obviously the 8x10 will be a better choice.

I love taking photos, so I always have at least one camera handy. If I didn't have my DSLR to take quick shots, I would be absolutely crushed. Looking back on my digital photo library shows an incredibly rich personal history of the past few years. All of the best and worst times are there, in intimate detail. I think I have something like 40,000 of those snapshots (and about 3,000 on flickr).

Almost none of those images could've been taken with a LF camera, either because of weight, bulk, set-up time, or low light levels. Besides, there would simply be no need to capture all of those moments in LF—it's not like I'm making huge prints of personal snapshots.

For me, LF is the format I use when I have a premeditated photo I want to take. It's like the difference between 1st degree and 2nd degree murder. If I'm somewhere and a photo happens, I'll pull out the digital or MF camera. But if I have a plan for a photo, that's when LF gets involved.

If you can get away with ONE photographic format, then go for it... But don't begrudge anyone else the pleasure of using many!

I have never take a 4x5 keeper (few as those are to date) without repeated visits to the scene in different seasons, weathers, and times of day, thoughtful planning of specific position and perspective, careful calculation of sun and shadow times and angles, and patient pacing waiting to see if Nature agrees with my predictions in time for me to press the shutter cable.
    Duncan Dwelle

I fully concur with the above comments that you have to "commit" to Large Format to do it well, it can't just be something to drag out "if" you have the time, or "if" you think the scene deserves it. You gotta USE it a lot to get comfortable, and skilled. The best way to do this is to NOT bring along an easier more familiar camera. Here is what I do. I shoot 5x7. I take my Leica M-6 for primary use as a light meter (a darned good one), and I shoot some slides with the M6, but I always shoot (of every view) a 5x7 negative. I don't shoot anything with the Leica that I haven't shot on a b/w negative with the 5x7 field camera.

I don't begrudge anyone that has and uses multiple formats, I personally have multiple cameras from 35mm Rangefinder to 11x14 View, including many medium-format choices, ........but......I don't take multi-formats out on a photo excursion, this only muddies the mind.

From my limited knowledge I think that if you want to learn to shoot large format, only shoot large format. You will never learn to shoot large format well unless you immerse yourself in it. I think it may be like learning a foreign language by only speaking that language for an extended period of time.

My first 4x5 was a home made Bender, it was a lot of fun to build and shoot with initially BUT it was taking so long to set up I almost stopped photography completely. I love the 4x5 ground glass and couldn't go back to the tiny 135 viewfinder and tiny film. I tried TLRs and liked them to but ended up getting a Crown Graphic and that's when things really started to happen. They are very easy to use, would work great for what you are doing, they have limited movements but that's one less thing to worry about. If you don't like it you can sell it and not loose a lot of money. I had the Crown for about a year and started missing all the movements I had with the Bender. Then I knew what I wanted in a large format camera. Now I have a Shen Hao and couldn't be happier. I just picked up an RZ67 and I like it but I may not keep it so I can get better with the 4x5. And maybe if I'm good I'll try 5x7 next year

I'm sure there are photographers who have no problem shooting all formats but I bet most of them learned one format at a time. Keep it simple, one camera, one lens, one meter and go out and shoot a whole lot of film

Scott

Personally, I think once you've learned the basics of photography, you don't need to "learn" new formats. You may need to figure out where all the controls are on a new camera, but all the formats are essentially the same—just different sizes.

That said, "photographic excursion" counts as premeditation to me. If you plan a picture-taking trip, take the LF!

Quote Originally Posted by bensyverson View Post
    Personally, I think once you've learned the basics of photography, you don't need to "learn" new formats. You may need to figure out where all the controls are on a new camera, but all the formats are essentially the same—just different sizes.
    I agree to a very limited extent but I find that the different aspect ratios of various formats tend to need different composition strategies. A 6x6 from my TLR requires a whole different way of composition compared to 4x5 which is different from 135. I'm sure 5x7 will be different and panoramic formats very challenging at least for me.

Scott

Thank you all for your quick thoughtful responses.

After reading them, my first LF/film outing came to mind. I was in Sedona, I scouted the location the day before, I was there before sun up. I have my shiny new 4x5, that came with a 6x9 back, 35mm film body that I picked up to do some film tests, then of course I had the electric job that I'm familiar with. I know I only have a few minutes of good light. So I then proceed to try to thoughtfully use everything I own, in just a few minutes of course. Well you get the idea. In hind site, it was funny. I could have sold the video. (had I thought to bring that along)

I think I'm going to try to prune some weight, re-read your posts, have a lil nip and ponder why, and then stick with it. Perhaps I am expecting too much too soon.

Again, thanks for the input. Thats exactly what I was looking for.