Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making the jump-- 4x5 to 8x10

Making the jump-- 4x5 to 8x10

Hi Chris, dont hesitate to do the jump. It's worthwhile. Take in serious conside ration the ARCA SWISS 8x10 F-line with collapsible rail. It is only 4 kg without lens. I carry it since years in every corner of the world. I use a Stanford -Davis compact tripod with a Gitzo Mk2 Lowprofile head. I wait now for a custommade Backpack/Wheelcarry case made for me by STREBOR (www .strebor.com) to make it a bit more like "my way". The ARCA is a very rugged, intelligently designed camera. It never gave any reas on to complain. It is the camera you can easily forget, because it works and works and everything is so smoothly built in your hands, that you can simply concentrate on your picture. Even to set it up it takes about no time( in any case not more than any 4x5). For any further question, don t hesitate to drop a line. Good luck! Urs

First let me say how much I enjoyed the pictures on your webpage. I am mainly a B&W fan, but I really, really like your color work. It seems to me anyone who has the dedication to do this caliber of work will have no trouble handling the adjustment to 8X10. http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~qtluong/photography/lf/listcameras.html has reviews of several of the 8X10s mentioned in the previous posts. Do you plan to go to the camera swap meet at Puyallup WA Saturday April 28? It should be a chance to see several different 8X10s and compare them. Email me if you need details on the meet. Have you seen the Michael Fatali feature in the March/April 2001 "View Camera" magazine? He is doing 8X10 Velvia in somewhat low light. F32 seems to be stop he tends to use. You might think of what it would be like to do the kind of work you do at f32.

Check out htt://www.fatali.com for Micheal's work. His pictures emotionally move my soul in a very touching way. Now I start to understand the importance of lighting. Can't wait to see his book coming out!

I would also recommend starting with a shorter lens than 420mm. You can get more information on a bigger piece of film, so I find that my lens choices for 8x10" are usually wider than what I would expect for various situations based on my choices with smaller formats. Aside from the short DOF of the long lens, if you're shooting outdoors and using a small aperture to compensate for the short DOF, remember you'll be contending with a lot of bellows, which can get hairy in windy conditions.