Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: photo contests - why do you do it?

Re: photo contests - why do you do it?

I never enter those so-called contests. My one competitive effort, in those years when I feel I have some adequate prints, is to enter the juried show at our state fair. Ain't no money to be made, just glory...

I rarely enter contests, but recently I saw one where I thought I had something worth presenting that fit the call for submissions, I like the work of the judge, and the winners will be shown in a gallery that I like, which could lead to print sales and possibly building a relationship with the gallery, so I thought I'd give it a go. I'll hear some results in a few months.

Ok, this has to be said in one form or another and kind of has been in an unclear way. We live in a time, especially now, where when somebody knows your name, it's a whole lot easier to get that job/representation/gallery deal. If someone walks into a gallery and knows your name and sees your work, you're more than likely make a sale over the person they don't know the name of right next to you. Now, I have never entered a national contest, just one at my college for fun. That said, contests can get you significant exposure. Even if you don't win on merit and it's one of those random pick-a-photo type deals. Positive exposure is positive exposure. There are plenty of people that read PDN or, heck, PopPhoto and see your prints. Being able to use stuff like that is great for a tear sheet. Even negative exposure can get you more fame (Or infamy) than you can ever imagine (IE: Jock Sturges). Now I'm not saying Sturges wouldn't have ever went anywhere, but without all that news coverage of his legal issues, it definitely wouldn't have been as quickly.

My point, yeah, contests aren't for everyone. I couldn't see myself entering anything more than a local deal at a camera club or whatnot. But they can give you valuable exposure and jumpstart a career. Not always, by any means, but every now and then it's what helps move a career.