Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of fool would buy a half-plate camera?

Retired Pirate

Re: What kind of fool would buy a half-plate camera?

Barry, you might well be able to use a bolt-on base with a regular tripod thread - perhaps something that clips to the brass ring or the slots. Quite a good idea, since you still have the metalwork in place - mine had been stripped out.

"From what I understand, there were British hardware vendors that sold stock to different camera makers, so you can sometimes find identical brass hardware on cameras from different makers."

That's interestingly put ... while mine is identical to any Triple Victo I've seen pictures of, perhaps it's not a Houghton. The 'ivory' disk states "Gerard & Co, 7 South St, London E.C." which I'd assumed to be the dealer's tag - I've had a number of German folder cameras with metal tags attached that give the shop where it was first sold ... but I don't know.

(Glad my pages were useful !!)

My original thoughts at the beginning of the thread were pointing towards T-P or Houghton-Butcher. Bearing in mind that Houghtons also incorporated Marrion (i.e. Soho) and a few other makers I still think that a Houghton design was the basis of this camera.

Sandeha, I believe, may be the closest as all the VCW (Vageeswari) cameras I have seen have all had nickel plated brass hardware and the lens mount treatment similar to the beast in question. The only real doubt in my mind about Vageeswari is that the hardware is not quite as "decorative" as I would have expected and is much more in keeping with a British built camera.

It could, of course, be a one off special built either a known maker or even a skilled enthusiast. I have a recent reprint of a book, originally published in 1901 with plans and construction details for a range of cameras and even a T-P / Kershaw style shutter. I'm sure this was not the only book available at the time.

Martin

If the two flat elongated locking knobs on both sides of the front were round like the others, therefore of larger/wider diameter, would it close? Is there is a reason for not using round locking knobs in front having to do with design of camera; did many of these cameras use flat knobs in front on both sides, round knobs elsewhere? Bernie

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS View Post
    India? Interesting, I never would have thought that because I'm only familiar with some fairly crude copies and the construction and finish on this is very fine--better than my Deardorff in fact. Can you point me to any photos of finely-crafted Indian cameras from that era?

Ernest--Thanks, I'll email you.

Another view--

that is a BEAUIFUL camera!! mine isn't in such great condition. i need to buy a new one.

Could be Japanese like mine. Mine is an Asanuma King 1, probably a Nagaoke predecessor made in the 1930's Japan. I made 5x7 and 4x5 backs for it easily.

It is a very good camera, costing $140.00 A smart fool buys a half-plate! camera!

The same kind that buys 10x12, and other sizes. There is one on Ebay now, April 1, no fooling, 120391152990. However, my purchases were from India direct. One does have a label on it Vageeswari. There is a factory that closed and old stock is being sold off according to the seller. One more is being shipped and is in transit, 10x15 I just opened a box this morning, 10x12 and 6 1/2x12 with tripod and plate holder each. The 10x12 doesn't need a tripod as it has a solid base, the other ones have special legs for the circular fitting.

An other old thread comming alive again......

These camera's are so beautifull, so full of history of their own.

I wonder if Sandeha is still around and if he has fiixed his tripod mounting problem: I have an idea...

Got my self a Shen Hoa 4x5 to complement my Sinar P2 and still have to restore an old 5x7 wood with a broken bellows and a lot more problems.

Peter

Who wouldn't want to buy one of these ...

Cheers, Steve

Michael,
    I bought a couple of the Vageeswari cameras from John Alex a few months back - a 6.5x15 and an 8.5x15. Mine are serviceable but look to be 40+years old and well used. I made the usual eBay mistake, low bids on both hoping to get one and ended up getting both. The interesting thing is that although they use the same back and bellows there are differences in the hardware holding the lensboards on and the lens boards are a different size. With a few minor mods my 8.5x15 now takes cambo boards and as soon as I work out the best way of putting film into plate holders I'll take some test shots.

Steve: wow............
    Did you do the restauration yourself or did you buy it in this shape, it looks stunning !

Peter