Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: trip to DC. suggestions wanted

Re: trip to DC. suggestions wanted

Barry, you're lucky with your tripod on the Mall. The tripod police can be a royal pain in the butt if they want to be.

I set up a tripod on a bridge on 16th St NW above Adams Morgan and had to DC squad cars decent on me. On the Mall it is hit of miss. The faster you are about using a tripod and then moving on the better.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Haha--I guess I must be lucky, because I'm sure not fast. Honestly, I've used my tripod all over the Mall and never had a problem. The big no-no is setting up a tripod on the steps of any memorials, but I've had no issues outside and if things aren't too crowded at night--inside as well. Adams Morgan is such a zoo these days and there a lot of cops around, so maybe everyone is in a confrontational mood.

Another vote for Great Falls. There is a national park on each side of the Potomac at Great falls, both just outside the beltway. The Maryland side (C&O park) is great for the C&O canal. The Virginia side (Great Falls park) has the best views (IMHO) for photographing the falls. You can typically get into the Maryland side before sunrise. Unfortunately, they don't open the Virginia side before 7:00 AM if I recall.

You also might consider Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens http://www.nps.gov/keaq/
    I believe the lotuses are still in bloom, as well as some of the smaller waterlillies. A small format with a long lens is nice for close-ups of the blooms, but LF is nice for more environmental portraits of the ponds filled with flowers.

Cheers!
    Bill

It's permissible to use a tripod on parks overseen by the National Park Service--e.g., the Mall--as long as you don't obstruct other visitors, but the Capitol Police (which uses motorcycles and foot patrols on the grounds) will kick you off the Capitol terrain they control. Been there.
    Mike

Scott Davis

Bill- the Lotus plants at Kenilworth are in high form, and I think they will peak this coming weekend. Our little DC area LF group is planning an outing there on Sunday - anyone interested is welcome to join.

Terence

Arlington National Cemetery can be very rewarding. Give them a call beforehand as to what the current rules are. They've been changing over the years, but the general rules are to stay away from ongoing services, and be resepctful of the monuments (don't rest your cameras and bags or yourself against them), etc. It's (unfortunately in a sense) a huge place though. Beautiful in its own way. I always find something new every time I go there, and I've been there probably 50 times.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS View Post
    National Cathedral--... photography/tripod friendly.
    Really?!! Good to know. I've been there many times and taken pictures (hand held), but a tripod would be, um, ... "heaven".

Gaithersburg, MD. (Washington, DC suburbs)

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
    Really?!! Good to know. I've been there many times and taken pictures (hand held), but a tripod would be, um, ... "heaven".
    I've been photographing both inside and outside the National Cathedral with tripod mounted view cameras for more than 15 years and have never had anyone even question me about what I was doing. I've even photographed from the back of the nave during services.

I'm partial to the small chapels in the basement and outside I like the Bishop's Garden.

The Catholic cathedrals are also very tripod friendly, although they will shoo you away about 1/2 hour prior to either closing (in the case of the Franciscan Monastery) or mass. Check the schedules.

Scott - when are you planning to gather at Kenilworth? I'll try to join weather and work permitting.

Bill

thanks everyone. it was a great trip. i need like another 2 weeks though....

i tried to get out to the aquatic gardens but they were closed. managed to shoot an old amusement park instead.

on the way home we stopped at harpers ferry. great place. perfect timing too. they were all dressed up in costume! we got some good stuff.

thanks to scott!

cheers

e
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery