Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Arca Swiss - beware!

Arca Swiss - beware!

Herr Meincke, I believe your experience is very unusual. Sounds to me like you got a "lemon" for one reason or another. Arca Swiss has a reputation of producing extremely fine and precise cameras. I have the feeling that the problem is more with the dealer than the manufacturer in your case. Herzliche Gruesse!!!

Arca Swiss - beware!

I agree with those posters who say Herr Meincke's problems do not suggest anything fundamentally wrong with Arca cameras, terrific pieces of kit, beautifully made. I'm more concerned about those who mock him for not spotting the plastic covering - I remember my own difficulty in working out how to load my first Polaroid back, embarrassing to think about now... And there's some over-reaction too from those who absurdly accuse Meincke of nationalist racism and mental dwarfhood. Good grief! Let's keep a sense of proportion here. Viele Grusse, Thies...

Arca Swiss - beware!

I know this response is posted late but I am disappointed to see Mr. Vogt's response to a client that has recently purchased his product, whatever the circumstance. Although I can appreciate Mr. Vogt's list of disclaimers attached to his response, the intonation chosen for his response is very surprising.

There are many fine camera systems available in the market and all of us look forward to the agreeable Customer Service that comes with it. I think that Mr Vogt should remember that WE choose his product, not the other way around.

Arca Swiss - beware!

Dave,

I'm having a little trouble here. what exactly was it about the "intonation" of Mr. Vogt's response that bothered you? he seems to have responded point by point to Dr. Meincke's problem and corrected mistatements by Dr. Meincke (there was only one camera , not two, that Dr. Meincke --as he himself acknowledged--failed to remove the protective cover on the front surfaced mirror; that the alignment problem appeared to be with a specific lens not the camera itself).

We certainly have other manudfacturer's representatives who sometimes participate here whose arrogance sometimes astounds me. perhaps it is that Mr. Vogt's first language isn't English? I too fell into that trap with my first response to Dr. Meincke. A failing for which I now apologize.

Arca Swiss - beware!

My mistake: I missed Martin's last paragraph. That was a little over the top.

Arca Swiss - beware!

In case you people haven't noticed, this site is known as the Large Format PHOTOGRAPHY Homepage, not the bitch and click forum. Lately several thread have degenerated into sophomoric pissing matches by people with slightly bruised egos. If you feel that you must response to a particularly egregious comment that you take as a personal affront, please do so outside of this forum. If a posting is factually incorrect, provide the proper information in a constructive fashion. If you feel that you must assert your photographic superiority, go bash some newbie in the 35mm discussion group. Remember, this site is for the sharing of information and ideas regarding large format photography, and many of us have little time to waste on postings cluttered with petty accusations and intellectual posturing. Let's get back to photography!

Arca Swiss - beware!

To Mr Vogt's defense, I think I remember a similar thread flaming Arca-Swiss sup port less than a year ago. In both cases, the problems encountered by the unhappy buyers were not so much Arca-Swis s's fault, but rather due to a negligence in the distributing chain, at least this is how I understand it. I am not sure how I would have responded in such repetitive attaks against good reputation. I have had the pleasure to meet and talk with Mr Vogt not long ago and he is a real gentleman. Certainly his words were beyond his thoughts.

Arca Swiss - beware!

Just to make it clear to everyone here: I am not a moderator on this forum.