Hi, guys,

I've been offered the opportunity to buy a Durst Laborator 1200. I can't remember the name of the head - it's a color diffusion one.
It has one major problem. At the back of the column there's a wide and long piece of steel that goes downwards from the top of the column and then winds onto a kind of reel. I don't know how to explain this, but if you know the enlarger you'll know what I'm talking about. It seems to act like a sort of spring. This is broken in a few places. It's still in one piece, and looks like it could live a little longer, but it's evidently on its last legs.

What does this weird spring do, and what would happen if I simply removed it? Would the head fall? Is this the only thing that keeps the head in position?
I understand this is a common disease of Durst enlargers, or at least of this particular model. Has any of you had this problem, and found a permanent solution to it (like, maybe a piece of leather with a counterweight, I don't know, I'm just thinking aloud)?

I noticed that the geared mechanism for raising and lowering the head is made of plastic (and quite a soft one, it seems). Is this going to give me any trouble over time? Are those plastic teeth going to support the weight of the head? They don't inspire too much confidence. Have you had any problems with them?

What else should I check?

I'm tempted to buy it, for two reasons. First, it's available locally (which is a big bonus, since large format enlargers are as scarce as hen's teeth in Romania). Second, I don't have all the money, but I know the guy, and he's willing to accept several monthly payments. I could afford it, but before taking the plunge I want to be absolutely sure that it can be easily and quickly fixed, and that once fixed it will stay fixed for a very long time. Otherwise I won't bother.

Thank you.