Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Where is the largest photography gallery?

Re: Where is the largest photography gallery?

As a strictly commercial project, the Rodney Lough store at the Mall of America is pretty large. It sells only his work, which is primarily LF (Arca Swiss, if I recall accurately). He says they are all hand printed - mainly C-prints.

It's color work of the the Great West variety - which seems to be pretty popular on this forum.

Perhaps he might share a thought or two with you if you did not appear to be invading his market.

The link below shows the store at the MOA.

http://www.mallofamerica.com/adults_...lery_W286.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Flynn View Post
    As a strictly commercial project, the Rodney Lough store at the Mall of America is pretty large. It sells only his work, which is primarily LF (Arca Swiss, if I recall accurately). He says they are all hand printed - mainly C-prints.
    Don't think so. I had an extended conversation with the sales person at Lough's gallery in Sausalito two weeks ago. His work is all ink jet today, albeit mostly from scanned 8x10 negatives.

There are several very large commercial galleries in New York. Names that come to mind include Silverstein, Clampart, and Yossi Milo.

Actually, as a minor correction, all of Rodney Lough's work is printed either on a Lightjet (limited editions) or an Epson 9800.

As for his galleries, I haven't been to the one at the Mall of America, but the one in San Francisco is a massive 5500 sq. ft.

I know you asked about photo galleries showcasing multiple artists' work, but for pure research, you might want to check these out. I haven't been to any of the photographer's numerous galleries yet, but the two current champs of individual retail sales of photographic prints are Peter Lik and Thomas Mangelsen. I know Peter Lik's galleries look huge, but I'm not quite sure how big. Together these guys sold somewhere around $20-30 million last year. Impressive!

The Mountain Light Gallery in Bishop is quite large, in a really nice old converted bank building - somewhere around 7000 sq ft.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

http://us.leica-camera.com/culture/galeries/

http://www.fotomuseum.ch/

MOPA has a small store, though is primarily a museum. I think the Morrison Hotel Gallery in La Jolla is actually bigger.

I would think that New York City and San Francisco might make the best research locations. Perhaps not the absolute largest photography galleries there, but definitely a high volume of museums.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    The Mountain Light Gallery in Bishop is quite large, in a really nice old converted bank building - somewhere around 7000 sq ft.

Jon
    OK 7000sf is plenty big, that will be a good reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Cole View Post
    I know you asked about photo galleries showcasing multiple artists' work, but for pure research, you might want to check these out. I haven't been to any of the photographer's numerous galleries yet, but the two current champs of individual retail sales of photographic prints are Peter Lik and Thomas Mangelsen. I know Peter Lik's galleries look huge, but I'm not quite sure how big. Together these guys sold somewhere around $20-30 million last year. Impressive!
    20 to 30 mil, wow! In this instance size doesn't matter.

These are some great examples thank you all for posting, keep em coming!

jb

The Andrew Smith Gallery in Santa Fe New Mexico is worth checking out. One section is in a commercial store (gallery) of maybe 3000 sq. ft. not far from the plaza and a newer second gallery is in a house nearby, maybe another 2000 sq. ft. He acquires and sells the photography of well known artists (Alan Ross, Christopher Burkitt, Ansel Adams, etc.)

Nate Potter

this guy has tons of gallery space around the country
    http://www.mangelsen.com/store/util/...=&show=gallery

edit: just saw he was already mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotah Jackson View Post
    You might check on AfterImage in Dallas, Texas.(think that is the name, not at my reference materials right now)
    That's the name. He has 90 linear feet of wall space, not sure of the square footage. If you're there between Nov 8, 2008 and Jan 18, 2009 you'll see a solo show of my work.