Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why so many Deardorff's auctioned?

Why so many Deardorff's auctioned?

Hello All

I have been thinking of getting a 8x10 deardorff.

I have been trawling some auction sites of late and see four five Deardorff 8x10's for sale at any given time. Why? is there something wrong with the much lauded camera.

I have noticed here in Ireland that many people turned to traditional Black and White film photography as a knee jerk reaction to Digital. It did not take long for many to find out that it needs a fairly high level of commitment. I wonder if this had anything to do with it? or is there something you only find out about a Deardorff by buying it. "A love em or hate em kinda of thing"

Brian

http://www.brian-d-brady.com

Re: Why so many Deardorff's auctioned?

Because they are a classic American beef machine and us Americans LOVE THEM!!! Why buy Chinese when you can get the REAL BEEF?!?!????

Only joking, but there is history behind the Deardorff, hence, many people restore these cameras, like people restore older cars, and they sell them for big money. Even ones in so-so condition are considered classics and will likely be overhauled by the person buying it. There's a certain sensation about having a Deardorff. It's simply a classic regardless of where you are from.

If I was looking for an 8X10 cam, I'd look at the Shen in the classifieds which is a far better tool to work with IMHO.

Cheers!

Terence

I think it's just the shear number of them out there. I have a 1930s one and a late 1970s one. They were made well into the 1980s. When you consider the number made, I'm surprised more aren't for sale at any given time.

Deardorff manufactured pretty much the same 8x10 camera from 1923 to 1988. That's sixty-five years, so they made *a lot* of cameras. Regardless of anyone's opinion, the Deardorff was a hugely successful camera. I find it a very useable camera, but a few pounds heavier than more modern 8x10's. It's a great camera for the price, and they were built to last. There's nothing sentimental or nostalgic about my love for what I consider a well-engineered working tool. Try hunting for a mint Deardorff and see how far you get, if you think they're unloved.

Deardorffs were "pro" cameras. Many big commercial studios had several and when they went digi the whole lot of 'dorff's would have been liquidated (my, that sounds so Stalinist!) so a lot have been released on the market in a fairly short period of time. These were likely bought up as either 'users' or as investments where they'd be restored and resold.
    Since many of these (well, all of them really) worked for a living the ones you'll see in original, unrestored condition will exhibit various signs of wear. Whether this wear will require restoration or simply a little tlc will vary from camera to camera, but generally you'll find that these cameras have been well maintained by thier original owners---they were used to 'bring home the bacon,' after all!
    If you're contemplating a 'dorff 8x10 (and IMHO you should be ) check out Ken Hough's Deardorff Historical Website for info on evaluating these critters.
    That some 'dorffs were built from mahogany salvaged from the back bars of saloons that were closed during the U.S. prohibition only adds to their mystique and I think 'flavors' the photographic results
    Happy 'dorffing!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Be careful if you buy a used Deardorff. I was very lucky with mine, which I love.

The bottom which is most important part of the camera was made by glueing 4 triangluar pieces of wood together to form a square. This was to prevent warpage. However, on some cameras the seams split and this makes the rails hard to use if at all. So be sure if you buy at auction to have a clear picture of an unsplit bottom.

Also the early cameras don't have front swing. If you don't use movements (shame on you) but that won't matter and the no front swing cameras are much cheaper.

Many people (do a search) have had trouble getting Deardorff's repaired. Mine was rebuilt by Jack Deardorff right before I got it so I am good to go for about 50 more years and the insurance folks say I will go before the camera does. I think I heard that Jack Deardorff is dead now so that leaves very few options.

Having said all that, one of my goals is to get good with swings and tilts. With old eyes getting three points on the ground glass in focus at the same time can be tricky with a Deardorff or at least tricky for me.

Therefore I got a Sinar with geared movements. I like fondling the Dorff more than the Sinar but the Sinar is more practical.

Neal

They were in production for 60 years, so there are a lot of them out there. Even the name is American. What other camera can claim to be a V8. Put me on the list that loves them and finds very little to want or do differently.

Cooke, Heliar, Petzval...yeah

Beautiful cameras, I have 8x10 and big sister 8x20.
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca

The bottom splitting that Neal Shields mentions is, I assume, the reason for the big circular aluminum (or aluminium in Ireland) plate seen on the bottom of many Deardorff's, an add-on for some.

Many British, Japanese (and a very few American cameras) avoided this problem with the "turntable" in the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Purdum View Post
    The bottom splitting that Neal Shields mentions is, I assume, the reason for the big circular aluminum (or aluminium in Ireland) plate seen on the bottom of many Deardorff's, an add-on for some.

Many British, Japanese (and a very few American cameras) avoided this problem with the "turntable" in the bottom.
    No, I don't think that's the case with the Deardorff bottom plate. I've read it was intended to protect the bed from scratches. The splitting is something to look out for, but I don't think it's a major issue with the majority of cameras.