Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tray processing... why not make the trays light tight?

Re: Tray processing... why not make the trays light tight?

There are much easier solutions. Why not seek out a Unicolor paper (print) drum and motor base. Inexpensive on the auction site and toally hassle free. Load film in the dark, go light. Pour in developer, put on the motor base, turn on, have a cold one, dump out, refill, have a cold one, etc. No work involved at all. No scratches. Perfect, even development. It's those cold ones you have to keep track of. And the time, of course. It will hold 4 sheets at a time with home made spacers. Two without. You can also do two 5X7 or one 8X10 in the drum. You can develop prints in it, too. How can you lose?

Don't make a federal case out of standing in the dark for 10 minutes, developing your film. It might sound like a terrible nerve wracking experience, but it ain't all that bigga deal.
    After you've done it a few times, it won't even occur to you that there's any problem.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

There are 4x5 daylight tanks as was pointed out but I find 15 mins in absolute darkness very soothing ... really!

I'll have to look into the Unicolor tanks. I've only seen the JOBO drums which cost a pretty penny. Perhaps a Combi plan tank or a drum tank of some sort will be the best choice in the long run. I don't mind the darkness, though I'd like to be efficient with my time. When developing my roll film, I usually tidy up my bathroom, setup things, store things (it's tough using the bathroom as a darkroom! Everything that comes out, must go back in!).

Purchasing 2 or 3 Combi plan tanks will add up to the cost of a JOBO drum. I'll start saving my pennies but will tray process for the time being. This LF stuff can get expensive

Thanks guys,

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jasonjoo View Post
    I'll have to look into the Unicolor tanks. I've only seen the JOBO drums which cost a pretty penny. Perhaps a Combi plan tank or a drum tank of some sort will be the best choice in the long run. I don't mind the darkness, though I'd like to be efficient with my time. When developing my roll film, I usually tidy up my bathroom, setup things, store things (it's tough using the bathroom as a darkroom! Everything that comes out, must go back in!).

Purchasing 2 or 3 Combi plan tanks will add up to the cost of a JOBO drum. I'll start saving my pennies but will tray process for the time being. This LF stuff can get expensive

Thanks guys,

Jason
    the daylight tank i use (doran. be sure to get the plastic film guide with it) costs $20 and holds 12 sheets of film. i like it so much i have a back up.

for 4x5 film i would use a 5x7 tray. the 8x10 trays are too big IMO for 4c5. it allows the film to float all over the place....increasing your chances of scratching them. practice at doing several sheets in one tray. it is not that hard. sometimes if i am worried i too use multiple developing trays. i start with 2 or more trays of developer. i put several sheets in each tray, avoiding many many sheets in one. then i start one tray ahead of the other so i only need one tray for the stop,fix, clear. as i said ealier i use two trays for fix so you can still keep this.

good luck.
    eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Hey Eddie,

I've read that 5x7 trays are a bit small and can cause uneven development (something about the walls being too close to the edges of the film, "waves", etc.). Did you notice anything like this when using the 5x7 trays?

Hey Eddie,

I've read that 5x7 trays are a bit small and can cause uneven development (something about the walls being too close to the edges of the film, "waves", etc.). Did you notice anything like this when using the 5x7 trays?
    nope. just be sure you fill the tray up enough. also be sure you have enough volume of solution for the number of sheets you are doing. it is most critical when doing high dilutions. i stopped doing high dilutions because i got bored standing in the dark for 18-30 min shuffling sheets.

the problem i find with 8x10 trays is that the film (provided you are doing several sheets and if you are not doing several sheets you are wasting solution anyway) turns side ways and generally does not seem to want to cooperate. they get floating around and i end up with more scratches. YMMV.

when does the camera arrive? have fun i love my chamonixs.

once again i will suggest a daylight tank....it does 12 sheets at one time (so you can go bang away) and you never get scratches from developing. (you may get scratches from loading/unloading storing etc) WHEN you go to 8x10 you can practice more with your tray processing (i give you 6 months!)

cheers

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Thanks for the heads up Eddie!

Someone on APUG took a 8x10 tray and divided it up into fourths with some small pieces of plastic. That might be a good alternative as well!

I highly doubt I'll be moving to 8x10 in the near future. That Chamonix really broke the bank!

Jason

It isn't feasible because the sheets will stick to each other and to the bottom of the tray unless you're able to shuffle them by hand. If you don't like standing in the dark inhaling chemical fumes and shuffling film for 10-15 minutes (as I don't) get some BTZS tubes (www.theviewcamerastore.com) or make your own. Once the film is in the tubes you do everything in light. Plus you eliminate scratching and with the tubes in a water jacket you minimize temperature changes.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I highly doubt I'll be moving to 8x10 in the near future. That Chamonix really broke the bank!

Jason
    yeah yeah yeah! heard that before!

being broke was never an excuse for LF purchases! ah, you can get into 8x10 with a lens and a couple of film holders for under $400! i do feel a bit sorry for you though.....seeing you are starting with the chamonix it will be tough on you to use an old worn wooden camera from back in the day! an 8x10 chamonix will definitely break you! it is so much fun.....

i will bet you an old 8x10 wood holder you got 8x10 GAS in 6 months! try to resit....i dare you! LOL!

i will check back with you in 6 months! happy shooting/souping.

eddie

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery