Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New IT8 target for my V750

New IT8 target for my V750

I have the Epson V750. I always calibrate my scanner and I calibrated the V750 with the target that came with the scanner. In fact, I calibrated it several times, on both my old Dell and my new Mac. The provided IT8 target is Kodak film, I generally use Fuji Velvia 50.

I was never happy with my scan results. Just on a guess, I ordered a Velvia target from Wolf Faust at www.coloraid.de. I just just finished re-calibrating the scanner with the new target and rescanned a chrome with which I was having a lot of problems. With barely adjusting the sliders, the scan is 20 times better than any of my prior attempts. The scan is much more vibrant and the colors are far more accurate.

Interestingly, I called tech support at Silverfast a couple of months ago and asked about targets. The support guy told me it makes no difference what target you use, as long as you use the correct file that goes with the target. Based on my experience, that information is wrong.

Preston Birdwell

Re: New IT8 target for my V750

Harley,

That's pretty interesting news! I calibrated my 1800f just a few days ago using the supplied Ektachome target. The new profile did make a big difference; similar to yours. However, based upon what you said I may just bite the bullet and get a target for Astia 100F. It sure seems to be worth a try.

See you tomorrow at Sonora Pass! Have a safe drive!

-P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

I agree. I have a number of Faust's targets on various films, and they definitely make different profiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Goldman View Post
    ... Interestingly, I called tech support at Silverfast a couple of months ago and asked about targets. The support guy told me it makes no difference what target you use, as long as you use the correct file that goes with the target. Based on my experience, that information is wrong.
    This applies to reflective targets, not to transmissive ones. and I think the SilverFast staff is aware of that, because they do offer targets on different film material. For example, they have developed a special kodachrome target a few months ago.

I cannot emphasise enough how much difference getting the right transmissive target makes. I have targets from Wolf Faust for Velvia 100/Astia 100F and Provia 100 and a friend that uses Velvia 50 has the correct target for that film.

The result is - superbly balanced scans.

Can you use Wolf Faust targets with Silferfast calibration or do you have to use a third party profiling tool

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna Carter View Post
    I cannot emphasise enough how much difference getting the right transmissive target makes. I have targets from Wolf Faust for Velvia 100/Astia 100F and Provia 100 and a friend that uses Velvia 50 has the correct target for that film.

The result is - superbly balanced scans.

Quote Originally Posted by more photography View Post
    Can you use Wolf Faust targets with Silferfast calibration or do you have to use a third party profiling tool
    If Silverfast can use IT8 targets, then yes. I use the Monaco EZ-Color software for calibration and the Epson software for scanning.

Not all versions of SF can use IT8 targets I believe. It is built into some and an upgrade for others. Its been awhile since I looked at it.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Ron Miller

This is a very timely post for me. I just received my 1st Velvia 50 slides back from Praus. I have an Epson V750 and initially the scans look pretty bad. I always do B&W and ventured into color for my latest Utah trip. The slides are spot on and color is great so I need to figure out how to scan these. I only have the epson software and it does not look like it allows for "IT8" whatever that is.

Could someone do a basic walkthrough on this? Is a target a printed sheet that you put on the scanner to get a baseline for a film? I also see targets that are reflective and some transparancy. Does reflective refer to negative versus positive(transparancy)?

Thanks

A target is a sheet of film, taken on the same emulsion as the film you want to profile the scanner for. IT8 targets are for transparency film, you can't profile for negative.

As well as the target, you will need profiling software that will take a scan of the target and create an ICC profile that you can apply to your scan, once it gets into Photoshop.

Monaco EZ-Color is relatively low cost profiling software but, as others have said in this thread, you need to get a correct target, for each emulsion that you want to scan, from somewhere like Wolf Faust http://www.targets.coloraid.de/ to get the best out of your scanner.