87. You may not vote on this poll
  • matted to image edge, sign on mat

19 21.84%
  • matted to 1/4-1/2 inch white image border, sign in border

68 78.16%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternative to signed mat

Alternative to signed mat

I have a number of color 24x36s to be framed to 30x40 using single 8-ply mat. Instead of doing the common presentation consisting of matting to the edge of the image and signing by pencil on the mat, I am thinking of leaving a white border of 1/4-1/2 inch around the print, matte with that border apparent, and sign (by ink) on that border instead of on the mat.

I see two advantages. The additional border makes a nicer delineation, kind of similar to a double-mat effect (but without the cost and work). The signature remains with the print, so I don't have to sign the print in the back as I would do if the signature was on the mat instead of the print. The only downside that I see is that the image would have to be printed slightly smaller. Any other downsides ?

Re: Alternative to signed mat

You might want a somewhat larger "surround" - 1/4" to 1/2" may look too thin for a print that size. Then, there's the issue of having enough of the print under the mat for the attachment method (hinge or whatever).

I never liked signed overmats. It looks like you couldn't cross the velvet rope at your own party. :-)

Hi QT, is 40 wide enough for your 36 in print? It seams 42 in would be the uniform size.
    I just switched from leaving a half inch border on my prints to bringing my mats all the way to my images. My primary reason was because I ink print on gloss paper and therefore I am concerned about the ink from my pen eventually bleeding on the ink jet paper. With matte paper and pencil I think it looks nice printing the image instead of the mat.
    jb

Eric Biggerstaff

I always leave a 3/8" space between the image and the overmat, then sign below the image on the right. I print small and this is a nice amount of room. For the rare times I print 11X14, I leave 1/2 inch. Never print larger (never say never I guess, I have done 16X20 in the past).
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Signing the mat is for wimps. I'd print with big borders and leave a nice large 1/2" or larger reveal for that big a print -- and have an expressive signature.

My backerboard reveal gets bigger with image size. 1/2 inch for prints up to 20x24, and 3/4 inch for larger prints. I also agree that framing a 24x36 to 30x40 is going to be a tiny mat for a print that size. I use a 4-inch mat for my 24x30's along with a 3/4 inch reveal all around.

Adam

I'm currently changing the way I do it, up until now I have signed the mat but that's easy to change. I will be re-matting a good number of prints and signing in the space, probably 1/2 inch, with the advantage of having the mat color and type the same for the selected prints. I'm already in the process as I came across this thread, good timing.

I personally dislike signing on the mat, after all, not everyone likes or wants the mats that I provide (white in my case.) However, I don't like signing under the print either. I personally like signing on the image in the lower right corner as I like to mat up to the image. I do color and use a black pigmented pen for my signature. The signature in most cases is fairly unobtrusive. Jim

Yes the reveal is proportional to the size of the print.

I actually use an embosser with a custom die and press into the emulsion/image area. It is subtle and kind of different. I also screw up less than I would if armed with a Sharpie.