Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 4x5 vs 5x7

Re: 4x5 vs 5x7

Quote Originally Posted by burnesingman View Post
    Interesting. But how do you develop it? Trays? or does Stearman make a 5x7 system? Other solutions?
    I used a version of John's second method above, but for several years have been using Jobo Expert Drums (3006 and 3005) on a motor base. for my 5x7s (also 4x5 & 8x10). Quite nice. The drums have been worth the investment.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Mark J View Post
    This is what I use for 2 sheets of 5x7" . Based on a thread on FADU forum. These are plastic bolts epoxied into an 8x10 tray. I haven't felt the need yet to go to a bigger tray for 4 sheets, since I'm only so far shooting 2 to 4 sheets in a session. Probably will do in the future.
    It's very convenient, and suitable for Pyro developers because you can operate it with kitchen gloves. I haven't seen flow marks from the pegs - probably because the film can move around a little bit on each side.

This would be great for putting in a changing tent square type and using cinestill df96.

Sounds like fun !
    It works for my PMK-based system because the developer is one-shot ; then I use half-strength stop bath which is also discarded ; then the lights can go on when the fixer is in there, and this can be poured back into its bottle. So you just need to be next to the sink. Washing is also in the same dish.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I used a version of John's second method above, but for several years have been using Jobo Expert Drums (3006 and 3005) on a motor base. for my 5x7s (also 4x5 & 8x10). Quite nice. The drums have been worth the investment.
    I have only processed a few batches of 5x7 in the Jobo 3006, but I can confirm it is a joy to use. Yes, they are breathtakingly expensive new, but look around enough and you'll find one used for a reasonable discount.

Just the piece of mind and ease of use have put my purchase anxiety to rest! With the price of sheet film today, it doesn't take long to appreciate the savings you eventually enjoy from spoiled sheets; at least for myself.
    Kino
    We never have time to do it right, but we always seem to have time to do it again...

I use a JOBO 2552 tank (actually a Chinese copy made by Poilot) and a Poilot reel, which is similar to reels made by Catlabs and others. The reel holds six sheets, can be fiddly to load (they all are, the larger the sheets the harder they are to load) and have given good even results.

The shafts are interchangeable and the reels can be used for 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10. I shortened an 8x10 shaft to work with whole plate film. I imagine that a 4x5 shaft could be shortened to work with smaller cut sheets too.