Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Movements!

Re: Movements!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow View Post
    Base vs. axis tilt discussions border on the religious. Suffice to say that I learned base tilts, and that's how they work best. And base tilts are VASTLY superior to axis tilts!
    It's not a matter of religious discussion, it's simply a matter that, if your camera only supports either base or axis tilts, then one technique can be easier than the other, depending on the tilts available.

But, of course, all real photographers only use axis tilts

WOW...

Thanks for this, I realy did not expect this much information in such a short period of time... thank you!

I will post the images once I have found a method of scanning in the Images in...

All the replies have been great so far and I'd only add that one exercise I'd make any newbie to architectural shooting do is the following:

Set up the camera to shoot any simple flat-roofed, box type building. Position the camera facing straight onto it so it's like a perfect square or rectangle centered on the ground glass. Now pivot the camera a little to the right or left, which will obviously cause the building to drift off to one side on the ground glass, but use shift to bring it back into the center of the shot. The result will basically be the same view of the scene as before except now you've put a slope on that flat roof line that previously had been perfectly horizontal on the ground glass. Repeat this pivoting of the camera off in the other direction and you'll reverse that slope. The effect can be quite dramatic with the wider lenses usually used in shooting architecture.

Understanding the power of this use of shift was a real eye-opener for me. There've been a few occasions when it's allowed me to frame shots with impossible, but pleasing perspectives.

I have found the easiest way to shoot architecture, is just to use a level and square off the film and lens planes before you fine adjust. That's 90% of the work right there. It will guarantee that all your true vertical and horizontals will be parallel.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna Carter View Post
    It's not a matter of religious discussion, it's simply a matter that, if your camera only supports either base or axis tilts, then one technique can be easier than the other, depending on the tilts available.

Real photographers use asymmetric tilts...

Quote Originally Posted by erie patsellis View Post
    Real photographers use asymmetric tilts...
    I thought that they just stopped down for maximum DOF, and then "corrected" everything in Photoshop.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Well I attempted it yesterday, the weather was perhaps a little too sunny at times, but we went early (me and Pete) but I screwed up somewhere!

I only shot 6 negatives, but 3 of them I screwed up 2 of them completly... I am seeing a half circular section where the images are OK Below but above nothing!

I think I must have used way too much front shift (If thats what you call it) and got the lens so much out of alignment that I only captured half the image!

The other three images are OK, one of them I could have done with a cloud passing overhead to block the sun, but the street was filling up with work vans when we got there it was empty... in less than half hour three work vans turned up!

I was there camera on tripod, but they just ignored me and parked straight infront of me!

You obviously exceeded the image circle. Which Lens were you using? Go to the INFO section and check the data on your lenses. It helps to know what the image diameter is for your lenses. Also, is your 90 lens a wide angle? For example, there's a huge difference between the Angulon 90 and the Super Angulon 90.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna Carter View Post

Axis tilts are for unbelievers. Axis tilters should be suffocated with their own darkcloths so as not to sully the world of the True Photographers.

Actually, I have seen discussions of axis vs. base tilts get heated. How weird is that? Especially when preferences mostly come from what one learned first.

As I said previously, use what works.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Thanks for that!

I will check it out, looks like I have a lot to learn!

Been searching the internet for any material to help me learn, online books etc!

But as of yet found nothing, any suggestions!