Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What did Ansel Adams use?

Re: What did Ansel Adams use?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Curtis View Post
    In the early 50's Ansel visited and photographed with my father when we lived in Southern New Mexico. Ansel had what I remember as some type of station wagon with a roof platform. I remember running around on the platform, but not Ansel. I was about 6 obviously more impressed with roof platforms than Ansel.
    During the filming of Milagro Beanfield War (my sister-in-law was the local casting agent), my 9 year old son had a chance to go for a wild ride in a red Porshe with some "old guy". My son raved about the car and the ride through Northern New Mexico. The old guy of course was Robert Redford.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Scott Davis

Totally unrelated, but I rode an elevator with Sugar Ray Leonard shortly before the rematch with Roberto Duran. I got his autograph on the only piece of paper I had with me at the time- a program from the Hayden Planetarium. At the time, he was a spokesman for Seven Up soda. He asked me which I liked better, Seven Up or Sprite; I said Sprite, and he confided, "me too!". On the photographic front, I sold Cal Ripken Jr. four or five Olympus point-n-shoots at christmastime one year. And yes, his eyes really are that blue.

So, this is way OT also, but it may answer the OP. When I was in graduate school, Duane Michals gave a lecture and when Ansel Adams was mentioned Duane pointed out that Adams had a Rolls Royce. Don't know if that is an urban legend or not, but Duane did make the comment.

Has Been LF Photographer

I don't recall mention of him ever owning a Rolls, but it seems I remember years ago that he made a photographic trip to England and moved about in a Rolls-Royce. I believe I remember him making the statement in print, perhaps in one of his book, that he didn't make any worthwhile images on the trip, he just couldn't get into it.

Has Been LF Photographer

Since we're on the subject of Ansel Adams gear, I stumbled across this description in a charity auction selling a digital camera. I wonder who might bid on this and end up being a little disappointed their vacation photos don't look quite likes Ansel's prints.

5. Be another Ansel Adams with this Canon G9. 12.1 mega pixels, 6X optical zoom wtih optical image stabilizer.
    Value, $500. Opening bid, $250