Thread: I love my new monopod! :)

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

I love my new monopod! :)

Since they were on sale in Toronto this week, I broke down and bought myself a brand new Gitzo monopod. This is the "walking stick" version, aluminum (NOT carbon fibre), the one you can use for hiking and has a small hidden ball head about 1/2 and inch in diameter.

Well you know what - it holds my Tachihara just fine! Bear in mind that I use almost all small F8 or F9 lenses for hiking with my Tachi, but for what i want, it's great. Looking forward to some long walks and some actual field testing now.

I just thought most of the time messages start with some kind of complaint or another (myself just as guilty of that as anyone else), but hey, maybe the odd good news thread is needed once in a while.
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Re: I love my new monopod! :)

You broke the rules and didn't start with a complaint! Moderators, please take note. We don't want this to become a trend so I'll complain about monopods. In all my years of photography I had never used a monopod before. While hiking recently a friend let me try his. I hated the thing. I couldn't come close to holding it steady, it kept wobbling around so much I couldn't begin to make a photograph. I can hand-hold and do better than I did with the monopod. Anyone else have a similar experience or was this just me? Hopefully you'll do better than I did but if not at least you have a nice walking stick.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Naw, Brian...It's just you.

I have and use an aluminum monopod from Bogen/Manfrotto. Works ok in the landscape. Sometimes, I simply use it as an easier "grip" on the camera. Not even touching the foot to the ground...if that makes sense?

They seem to draw a lot less attention than a tripod too for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Naw, Brian...It's just you.
    I suspected that was the case, my wife says everything is always my fault.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

One can also use a monopod with a strap. You can then plant the foot at the base of a tree with monopod leaning out with its strap wrapped around the tree pulling out to increase stablity (as long as there is no wind blowing said tree mind you). And with the ball head fix the "level" for the camera. A long cord wrapped around a rock on the ground could also be used as long as you apply pressure to help maintain lateral stabilty. Kinda like a signal tower uses lines at oposing directions. But instead you use one cord on one side, and your hand pulling opposite to achieve this effect.
    Søren

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams-

There is a shoulder brace available for monopods, might be of some use for LF.
    http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/BG1279/

Can you mount an 11x14 camera on it? Grin.

Gitzo has been making great stuff since they started with machine gun tripods in World War I.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

i tend to use 3 monopods that are all attached to each other at a point, that point being bound with a sweet little plate that makes a perfect platform for a camera. very steady too! but for sports shooting i tend to use just one. works great.