Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Backpackfor8x10

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: Backpackfor8x10

Lenny, I use an REI large travel pack. It hold all of my gear and then some for 8x10. It has a separate day pack that can hold 6 holders and the suspension is really nice. I use their Mars pack for my 8x20. It is a clamshell design and will work nicely for an 8x10 set up. I took my 8x20 into the store to make sure it would fit. I did it mid week. Didn't want to cause a scene.

Jim

I called REI and just had one of those bad calls, where the guy on the phone knew nothing about what he was talking about.... So before I travelled 45 mins to go to REI I called Bruce at photobackpacker.com. This fellow was so knowledgeable, and a large format shooter. He asked what lens I was using, and he had a sheet with the exact size so he could tell me which lens box to get.

I was so impressed I bought the pack on the spot. It's great when you find someone so professional. I can't recommend him highly enough. Pack arrives on Friday.... I suppose the proof is in the pudding and I should say that up front - that I haven't used it yet... but I expect it will be just what the doc ordered.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

The Super Trekker weights a ton, but for air travel it can be checked in without damage to the contents.

I found an interesting 8x10 backpack solution. I bought a LowePro Stealth AWII which is designed to carry a laptop and 2 SLRs with lenses. The laptop sits within a separate removable inner case, which when removed fits my folded Chamonix perfectly. I carry three lenses on boards (two are big plasmats), six 8x10 film holders and all of the small accessories no problem. It's compact and light and I couldn't be happier. It's way lighter and smaller than the super trekker, which I also looked at.
    Craig McCormick
    Indianapolis, Indiana

FYI - Stealth is 5.2 lbs, Super Trekker is 13 and the photobackpacker is 6 or so.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

I exist, therefore I am

Here's an economy tip. A Samsonite Cabin bag with back straps.
    I holds a Arca 8x10 plus the two lenses I have for this format. Filmholders carried separately.
    The stuff inside is just foam cut to fit. This is the prototype, hence the different colours and rough apperance.
    I have another insert for the Wista 4x5, 6 lenses, filmholders and bits & pieces. Sorry no pictures.
    This set up has to great advatages for me. Price 80 Euro, (about 130 USD) + some foam and its the maximum size to carry onbord airplanes.

Cheers
    Joakim

Clay

I bought one of the big backpacks from Photobackpacker. It is essentially a Kelty Redwing with some mods to make it easy to add all of his custom photo boxes for various things like lenses and cameras. It carries like a real backpack, and is a wonderful improvement after suffering with an f/64 pack for a few years. I cannot recommend Bruce's products highly enough.

One other nice thing is that the pack can be converted back to a regular backpack with absolutely no hassle.

I bought some camera and lens cases from Bruce some time ago. He handled so kindly the late delivery (caused by German customs) that I ended up with two identical sets of camera/lens cases - as Bruce have jsut sent me the same cases again for free and did not ask for the money when finaly both shippings have arrived. If i would have an 8x10, his backpacks would be my choice Nr.1. They are just a bit too large for my Tachi 4x5. The camera cases get quite some use - one for the camera and the second one for 2-3 lenses + filmholders. For me they offer a perfect ballance between weight and robustness.
    Matus

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    FYI - Stealth is 5.2 lbs, Super Trekker is 13 and the photobackpacker is 6 or so.

Lenny
    When comparing the weight of one backpack to another, it is important to determine the source of the weight. If it is caused by a more rigid suspension and a heavier, more supportive waist belt, that extra weight will actually make the entire load seem lighter. A backpack that does a great job of transferring the weight to your skeletal frame is amazing. The perceived load is reduced dramatically.
    Bruce

I've got two of Bruce's packs, the Nimbus and the new Kelty with the side pouch film holders. They are just an incredible design and have allowed my wife and I to put in 10+ mile hikes which we never would have tried with our previous Lowe SuperTrekkers. You cannot go wrong with one of Bruce's systems.