Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backpackfor8x10

Backpackfor8x10

I need to purchase a new backpack. Awful difficult to do this from a catalog - so many things can go wrong. Have you all got some suggestions for a backpack that can do 8x10 - (I haven't seen one that carries the holders up top, where they ought to be because of the weight... and tripod should be on top of that so the thing is no so tipped over on one side... my pet peeves...)

Also, any ideas where to see them in the sf bay area? (Calumet didn't have one). REI?

Should I look a Lowe and Kelty - any others? What works for you guys?

TIA

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Re: Backpackfor8x10

Crumpler is coming out with a very interesting backpack/roller that should hold an 8x10 field camera, a couple of lenses, and some film holders. It's called the Cork and Fork Fantasy. The biggest drawback would seem to be the lack of thought for an external tripod mount, but maybe that can be remedied. I'm seriously considering this for my Deardorff.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigbadbenny/2362782139/

photobackpacker.com
    or if you can find an Art Wolfe pack by Sun Dog, discontinued but sometimes found on ebay. I got a bran new one for $59, it's huge.

LJ Segil

Another vote for Photobackpacker.com. Plenty of room for 8x10 in their new custom Kelty packs, customizable, and even comfortable if I don't go to overboard on the load (damn heavy filmholders). In my current configuration I'm carrying the Wehman 8x10, 7 lenses, 6 filmholders, tripod with head, a blackjacket, light meter, loupe, random nonsense, and I still have room to spare for more filmholders and something to cram into a currently empty side pack. The frame is a Kelty state of the art custom fit deal (I don't speak backpack, so I don't know what to call the fancy frame), which is pretty comfortable given the ~40 pounds I'm schlepping around. Highly recommended, and superb service and advice on configuring your pack from Bruce.
    LJS

I'd go to a store like REI with you camera to learn what's out there.

I use a backpack for my 8x10, but do not carry it on my back, instead I put it in a 3-wheel full suspension jogging baby stroller. I bungee cord my tripod to the stroller, and the film holders go in a separate bag.

Saves my back and it is easy to push or pull over terrain.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

3d Visual Effects artist

Right now I'm using an F64 backpack, but I'm finding for long hikes I don't like it to well. I'm probably going to head over to REI one day and see if they have something that will fit my camera. I called the store and asked if I could bring my equipment there to try out some of the backpacks, and they said it would be no problems, and suggested I come when the store is not busy.

Does anyone near Los Angeles have a Photobackpacker.com pack? I'd be interested in checking one of them out.
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

I've got a LowePro AW for the 'dorff---it's a nice pack.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I've used an f64 8x10 pack for years (I kept using it for 4x5 after I got out of 8x10). The main thing I like about it is that it doesn't weigh much empty, not a lot of unnecessary padding, so you're not starting out with several pounds before you even start loading it. I use it for day hikes, it probably wouldn't be very good for overnight things. I've owned about five different packs for 4x5 and 8x10, I like the f64 the best of the ones I've used.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I used a Lowepro Super Trekker AW II for the last two years to haul around my 8x10 kit; an excellent pack, but on the heavy side.

Recently I purchased a Photobackpacker setup based on the Kelty Redwing P2 pack. It is currently available only via mail-order but you can go to a local REI or other outdoors store and try out a Kelty Coyote pack; it has the same suspension system as the P2. The Photobackpacker setup offers a bit more storage space than the Super Trekker while weighing noticeably less. Also, if you travel by air, the camera and lens cases can be temporarily removed from the P2 pack and put into a carry-on case, and the backpack can then be collapsed and stowed in checked baggage along with your tripod. I use mine to carry my Arca 8x10, four lenses, four film holders, and all my various LF accessories. So far I have been very happy with it.

Thanks, all. Sounds like a trip to REI. (They have the best return policy in the world... they take things back even if you used them heavily.)

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing