Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 Box Cameras - Any Usable?

4x5 Box Cameras - Any Usable?

I like to play around with vintage equipment and simple cameras now and then and have thought about seeing what kind of results a 4x5 box camera might give. I've been browsing around the auction site and while there appears now and then the "falling plate" type of 4x5 box camera, I haven't seen any that might take a modern film holder. Does anyone know if such a beast was ever made?

Re: 4x5 Box Cameras - Any Usable?

I have a 5x4 film holder made by M.P.P it takes glass plates and cut film, it has ametal plate inside that takes the cut film, it slips out when you want to use glass, if you can find one of these then you could adapt it to fit your box camera plate holder.

bob

I have a Butler Brothers 4X5 box camera. It uses the same plate holders as the 4X5 Premo and others used. Modern film holders work fine but for one thing - they're longer, due to having two light trap ridges, and the door to the storage comprtment won't close. With the old plate holders, I can carry three in the compartment. I found, quite by accident, that the guts out of certain old Fidelity wood holders are similar to Grafmatic septums and are exactly the same size as 4X5 plates. I've installed them in the one good ancient plate holder I have. A card stock shim behind the septum might be a good idea, but I don't really think the 1mm or so difference will matter at all. The camera has a fixed shutter speed and aperture. The combo is good for 100 speed film in daylight. It has a time setting for long exposures. The lens seems to be an achromat meniscus and it does take decent pictures. It's just something fun to play with.
    I would shy away from falling plate cameras. Too many problems to overcome to be practical. If anyone has two old plate holders in good shape that aren't being used, I would like to talk.

multiplex

i've been using a delmar ( sears ) box camera .
    it works very well.

you might also look for a "falling plate camera" ,
    it is a box camera that you can load
    with a whole bunch of paper ( dry plates ) in septums.
    when you shoot one, you jiggle the knob, it FALLS to the
    floor and you are ready for the next one.
    they come in all sorts of sizes, the cyclone sr, is 4x5.

i used buy them, restore them and resell them.
    the shutters are simple I /B / T guillotine afixed
    to the front, usually gummed up and tired from cobwebs.
    just use a wee bit of 3-1 oil and you are good to go.
    i had a rare one once, that had a variable shutter speed
    it went from T/B and intermediate speeds from slower to slow depending
    on how much you turned a knob ( tensioned the shutter-spring ).

have fun

john

ps. a lot of them are listed on http://www.boxcameras.com

I should mention that I've seen a number of 4X5 box cameras similar to mine go through the auction site in the last few months. Falling plate cameras are nearly always described as such. The type I have is often poorly described because people don't know what they are. In fact, it helps to be on your toes when looking for these. Mine cost 15.00. They seem to be going for 25.00 to 50.00 +. There are a number of brand names. Most are identical to myButler Bros. There is one other design I've seen a few of lately that has an added "feature" or two.
    There is a post I put up on nelsonfoto.com some time ago with a picture of mine. There may be a post with a negative scan, too. You'd have to search the site. I'm not good at pointing you to it. ( I don't know how )

Glenn:

You missed the boat last month on plate holders. I gave away 15 regular style 8x10 plate holders and 3 hinged book-style 5x7 holders. I say 8x10 and 5x7 as that was the approximate sizes they appeared to be. I didn't measure them, and I don't know in what exact sizes plates were/are normally found.

Anyhoo, I didn't have a use for them or any money in them, so I tossed them to the wolves over in the want ad section.

Eu

Be careful of the MPP plate/film holders. The register is different to normal film holders. There might be some info on the MPP users website.
    Pete.

And then again there ius the Newman & Guardia Special B with plates in a nice bag magazine, front rise and shift, a Series VII Double Protar lens and a shutter with multiple speeds.

Thanks for the responses. I'll keep my eyes open.

I just wanted to update this one and say how much it can pay to scrupulously watch the auction site for things like this. I just received three immaculate Premo plate holders and a couple of like new Premo film pack adapters, which are a pretty useless thing. The plate holders, to my surprise, are fully equipped with Kodak cut film sheaths. 15.00 plus postage for the lot. No other bids because of the vague description. I knew what it all was, by the pictures. Here's the deal - these plate holders have been selling like hotcakes at 10 to 15 bucks each. Film sheaths are very hard to find. 10.00 each for these. So, 90 bucks potentially, for 15. Now my turn of the century Butler Brothers Pennant Camera Number 20 is back to it's original fully equipped condition. It looks almost new and it's a blast to use, too.
    Benno, look mine up in McKeown's for an idea of what to look for. Many are identical.