Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4x5 Slide Scanner needed

4x5 Slide Scanner needed

Re: the Epson 1240/1640U scanners.

Are either of these capable of 'decent' quality 600dpi scans? It sounds like they have enough resolution, but how does the shadow detail hold up (from transparancies) and how is the color rendition? I am glad to have a Polaroid 45 available to me, but I would still like one on my desk. I really only need it to produce 600dpi scans for making 8x10 samples for my portfolio book and my web page.

4x5 Slide Scanner needed

I have the 1640SU. At 800DPI is VERY sharp and it is a true 1600DPI. I scan primarily slide film and happy with it. A drum scan or the new dedicated film scanners with higher d-MAX will definitely get more from the shadows but in my opinion it the best buy below $1000. Since I ALWAYS bracket, I found out that I can scan the slightly overexposed version and get more from the shadows. If the contrast is too great I can scan the overexposed to get the shadows, the uderexposed to get the highlights and "merge" them in PS. Or for those killer shots (that I will take someday :-) I can alway send it out for drum scan.

Overall, I'm happy with it.

4x5 Slide Scanner needed

I know that a flat bed will not compare to a neg scanner and a neg scanner will not compare to a drum scan, but... I assisted a photog who had an agfa flat bed (I can't remember the model, but it was under $1000) and it gave GREAT image scans for the $$$. I've heard the same from other people who owned agfa's. Now I've also seen drum scans and they are better and bigger files, but hey, if you want a value, the agfa is nice, if you want the best quality possible, the drum scan is it. I am not commenting on the middle ground - the medium and large format neg scanners - because I have not personally seen scans from the newer models yet.

4x5 Slide Scanner needed

I too am searching for a dedicated film scanner, in my case from 6 x 6cm up to 5 inch x 4inch but I do need high end quality without drum prices. I have heard that the Microtex Artixscan 4500T might be the one, has anyone any info on this?