Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Another landscape thread

Re: Another landscape thread

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew ren View Post
    :-0 Ken, we all watching you!
    Beautiful work.

Eugene, thank-you for your kind comments. It is a frigid area of the world, located in Alberta. It was -40 centigrade the day I recorded this image.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hansen View Post
    1-Cathedral Gorge State Park, Nevada-- Fuji 125 W--Velvia 100F
    2-Last saturday along the Virgin river, Utah--Nikon 210--KR6 Filter--E100VS
    3-South of Rockville, Utah two weeks ago--Fuji 450--Velvia 100F

Mike Hansen
    Hello Mike, The images look good -- perhaps the second two a little undersatuated. How do the on-line images compare to the real thing?

Cathedral Gorge is a fun place. I know the scale of the place (and the particular formation, too)-- but your image does make one wonder what the actual scale is. Of the three, that one works the best for me.

Vaughn

This summer, I drove 5,000 ft. up into the Pioneer Mountains (SW Montana) – me and my Tachi 4x5 got lost for a week.

July’s daily thunderstorms were ferocious – we thought we were going to die!

The trees up here live a tough life, but I think they’ve learned to thrive in such a hostile place, even if it means growing up gnarled and misshapen.

Most of the rocks, like this one in the center foreground, seem to be quartzite – that is, left-over pieces of metamorphosized sandstone that formed under Montana’s ancient shallow seas. All the rocks sported multi-colored lichen.

BTW, Can anybody tell what species tree this is?

Tachi 4x5
    Schneider 110XL/5.6
    Velvia 100F QuickLoad
    1 sec. @ f/22 (slight wind )
    Leveled camera, w/ 20mm front rise

Thanks Vaughn, The Second image is less saturated than the Real Thing. The third image is about the same as the Real Thing.

These are compressed files that I used to make prints, and they look good on paper.
    If i'm going to post pictures I will have to do some research and learn the best way.

Mike

Wow, this thread has hypnotized me, all day long. The shots are quite beautiful.

Heck, here’s another quick 4990 scan…

I paid a price for this perspective – setting up in ankle deep water. Lucky me, I had water-proofed my tall boots. But my feet still got wet and icy cold. I even lost a sheet of QuickLoad – I dropped it, watched it float away, & splashed down-stream to get it. Don’t like to litter!

This is high-up on Pinegrass Ridge – an area SE of Mount Rainier in Washington State. Lots of black bear, porcupines, and owls. By May, the spring warmth melts the snow and short-lived streams gurgle and wander under forest cover..

By early July, no trace of the streams remain – well, unless you look really hard…

Tachi 4x5
    Fuji A 240mm/9
    Astia 100F QuickLoad
    2 sec. @ f/32
    Leveled camera, 5mm front fall, slight lens forward tilt.

Heroique,

Without some detail of the needles, it is hard to tell what your tree is. I would guess, however, that it is either a whitebark pine or a limber pine. I'll have to do a bit of research to see what the range of whitebarks is - we get ones that look like your tree in the higher elevations here in the southern Cascades.

Quote Originally Posted by h2oman View Post
    Heroique,

Without some detail of the needles, it is hard to tell what your tree is. I would guess, however, that it is either a whitebark pine or a limber pine. I'll have to do a bit of research to see what the range of whitebarks is - we get ones that look like your tree in the higher elevations here in the southern Cascades.
    Thanks, that's really kind! Wish I had some needles with me to help out.

Seems that LF people usually know a lot about trees.

I found my tree book, and this is what it has to say: "Whitebark pine grows at treeline throughout the Cascades and in the northern Rockies, clinging to the harshest sites that trees can endure." It also says the bark is "thin, scaly, and grayish througout its life." Finally, it is usually "distorted and bush-like." I'd say your specimen is certainly distorted. Without seeing the actual tree, this is where I'd put my money!

Quote Originally Posted by h2oman View Post
    I found my tree book, and this is what it has to say: "Whitebark pine grows at treeline throughout the Cascades and in the northern Rockies, clinging to the harshest sites that trees can endure." It also says the bark is "thin, scaly, and grayish througout its life." Finally, it is usually "distorted and bush-like." I'd say your specimen is certainly distorted. Without seeing the actual tree, this is where I'd put my money!
    And it was indeed near the tree line. No other tree dared venture higher than this one!

My friend Arthur Lee Jacobson (the famous Seattle-based tree expert) took a look at the photo, too -- and confirmed your ID. Either a White Bark or Limber Pine, and he was inclined toward the former. (And he said only one White Bark grows in Seattle, as far as he knows, in Acacia Cemetery.)

Thanks for the ID help, it's nice to name trees in my photos!