Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First 4x5 Camera - Crown Graphic or Tachihara

First 4x5 Camera - Crown Graphic or Tachihara

I have been doing *alot* of rading lately on 4x5 cameras, but do not have access to see any in person, unfortunately.

I need a 4x5 camera for landscapes. I notice that I do many photos with my 35mm setup on the shorter end of the focal length range. I use my 24mm lens quite oft en. Rarely do I need the longer lenses, but if I do, I will just pull out my 35m m gear.

That brings up my question, either a 65mm or 75mm 4x5 lens will work for me, but which camera is the easiest to use at these focal lengths? I am also interested in the rigidity, due to wind outdoors.

I will consider any camera that breaks the $1000, as long as I can use the wider lenses. Would a Tech IV work well?

Thanks in advance.

The Linhof is my preference (have a Tech III, use a V at work) but barring that, I would say the Tachihara. You will be limited with the Crown... my opinion. Cheers

I have a Super Technika IV, a Crown Graphic, and a Nagaoka(just like the Tachihara, but a little lighter). The Technika is the kind of camera I'd take on an expedition to the Gobi Desert, but otherwise IMHO it's too heavy and cumberson to consider. The Crown is incredibly underated, and can easily be used hand-held. It's only real disadvantage is that lens momements are very limited and inconvenient; if you use them much then the Crown isn't for you, if you don't it's probably by far the best choice. The Tachihara can be used only on a tripod, but it is certainly the most versatile of the three. All can handle 75mm WA lenses. I do mostly landscapes, and the Crown is my personal choice in 4x5.

I wouldn't recommend the Tech IV if you are a wide-angle fan. As explaned in my Tech IV article, even using a 90 can involve some gymnastics. Although the aspect ratio is different, 75/4x5 will be closer to 24/35mm, and probably easier to use as well.

That begs the question: Can a Speed/Super/Crown Graphic handle 75mm lenses? If so, will I need a recessed lens board or bag bellows?

The Crown and Super will, the Speed probably not.

I'd say if your're happy with 24mm on 35mm then use a 90 or 100mm on 4 x 5. I multiplied by four for length, since the narrow 4 x 5 dimension is about four times the 24mm narrow of the 35mm film. The Crown bed drops down, and I've used 65mm Rodenstock Grandagon with it. But it has to ride on the rear rail, which is not as robust as the front rail. No problem here with 90mm. Also, the 65mm no longer has the luxury of tilt, since this works with drop bed/ front rail only. You could only tilt the lens upward, which is of course, useless.

Andy,

As a huge fan of the Crown Graphic, I have to say that when you get wider than 90 mm you begin to run into problems. You can go down to 65 mm but you lose rise because the standard is inside the body and cannot go up. On the other hand, how many 65 mm lenses give you much rise anyway?

You still have front tilt at all focal lengths.

Andy, I've been shooting landsscapes with a Calumet Wood Field and a Caltar 150mm for about 8 years and I am very pleased with it. The camera is actually a Tachihara and the lens a Rodenstock. I got them both new for around $900 and thought that it was a good price entering LF. I've thought about a 90mm lens but haven't bought one yet. Reading other opinions there is a 110mm lens out there that everyone rave about. I believe it is a Symmar (spelling?) XL. Wish I had known about it before I had purchased the 150. I think you would be happy with the Tachihara. By the way the Adorama 4x5 is a Tachihara and there are some dealers that put their name on the Tachihara as well. Good luck & happy shooting. Pat.

Andy, I started into LF with a super graphic and traded up to a Tachihara. It is much easier to use movements with the Tachihara and it is lighter as well. Although the graphic is ok, I have aboslutely no regrets about the trade-up. Should you want to use a roll fim back, the Tachihara is more limited in the options available. With the super, a 90mm lens seemed to be getting close to its limits. I think that you have to have a pretty stiff breeze before this will make any difference. I also have found a shift in my lens preferences with 4X5 compared to 35mm. While this is a choice of personal preference, you may want to proceed slowly with you lens purchases til you find what you like.