Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shooting without Tri/Monopod

Re: Shooting without Tri/Monopod

I'm not sure what you mean by "mixed reviews" since there is quite a range of technical and press cameras with a variety of capabilities, and the lenses can be as fancy or as basic as you like, as on any view camera.

One attraction of a press camera or technical camera over an MF rangefinder is that even without a tripod you can use front rise with a little practice. On my Technika the way to do it is to look through the viewfinder and find a reference point at the top or bottom of the frame, then look at the groundglass lined up the same way, apply rise while holding the camera steady (that's the part that takes a little practice, but it's not really that hard, and you can check again if you need to), then make the exposure by framing with the viewfinder using the original reference point.

Jean-Louis Llech

With a Manfrotto monopod, you can use a small device screwed on the bottom of it.
    It is a folding base for monopod 681B, made of three steel legs, which, after use, can be folded and stored inside the bottom section of the monopod.
    Not as stable as a tripod, of course, but much more than a monopod alone.

Here is a picture of it. The head is a Linhof Profi ballhead II, with an Arca-Swiss quick release adapter that I use with my Rollei SL66 SE cameras.
    When I use the monopod with the Linhof Master Technika, I prefer to replace the Arca QR adapter by a Linhof Quickfix II.

The second picture features other accessory feet which can be screwed under the monopod. The left one (suction cup) can be used on parket floors, inside museums or buildings, while the right one (stainless steel rectarctable spike) is used on non-fragile grounds.

Back in the 50s and early 60s I was using a Super Graphic for journalism work and I don't recall ever using a tripod. In fact I don't believe I owned one back then. I did find objects to support my camera or to brace myself as mentioned in prior posts.

The two photos below were made ca. 1959 with a Super Graphic (135mm Optar lens) on Super-XX film, ASA 100. If I were able to upload larger files you would be able to note how sharp these photos are. On the negative of the classroom building the bricks are tack sharp but I was not careful with the tilt on the film plane ... something to consider when you are hand holding.

Several years ago I acquired a newer Super Graphic and I purchased an old battery tube without the flash reflector to use as a solid handle like the flash I had on the earlier camera. This is a great aid in holding the camera steady.

On recent occasions I have also used a monopod that Adorama has had fashioned after an older Linhof monopod. It looks like a walking stick and collapses to a short length.

I have walked into places like Dumbarton Oaks where tripods and monopods are banned with the monopod collapsed but attached to the camera like a handle. I have received quizzical looks from the attendant at the gate but never been challenged. Then when I am out of sight in the gardens ...
    al

SF Bay Area 94303

I am not sure what the problem with a press cameras is. Sure they are not view cameras but they don't require the use of a tripod. They were designed to be hand held. If you want to use a view camera you almost have to have a tripod if you use movements (true of a press camera too). As a point and shoot, a press camera is superb. You have no idea how well a Crown is designed until you use one to do hand held work. There are 3 ways to frame a shot hand held. I think they even made a few 5X7 models too, but I have never seen one. K

Jean-Louis Llech

I agree with you, Kirk. These cameras are really great with one lens, always the same.
    But the problem with all Graflex cameras appears when you need to change the lens on the field and consequently adjust the Kalart or Meyer rangefinder.
    When the rangefinder needs only a cam exchange for using either a 75 or a 240mm lens, it is a bit easier IMO.