Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clip marks of sheet film

Re: Clip marks of sheet film

I use stainless steel film hangers for my sheet film processing (4x5, 5x7, 8x10), and these hangers do not produce "clip" marks. The only clip mark I get is from hanging up the sheets to dry, but I am careful where I clip the sheet. Film hangers are also for "dip-n-dunk" processing, but normally are used manually for this. The "style" of processing that uses clips to hold the film is in automatic dip-n-dunk processing machines.

depends on how much dough you got too, at least when developing film was good business. ever seen an avedon photo with less than perfectly aligned clipmarks?

So what are recommended labs. I use Praus Productions with good results.
    http://www.4photolab.com/Pages/price_film.html

My problem was I used a local lab and all clip marks over thousands of sheets were all with in a couple of millimeters of the edge and the marks were parallel with the long axis of the film. Lab A sold its processing to lab B. Now clip marks are atleast 1/4 inch into film area and are now parallel to short axis. It was quite a shock.

Dan

In Baltimore: B\L Photo 410-727-6942, 916 N Charles Street. No marks ever of any kind. Top notch outfit. When I only want to do a couple I just give them the holder to minimize handling. I have used these folks since about 1999.

I have not used United Photo in a while (Beltsville) and I do not remember any marks with them.

Even Edgar leaves clip marks, but I actually incorporate them into the fake film frames I print with.

But, back in the ancient times when I had to deliver clients chromes, I never put anything important right on the edges of the film so that it would ever matter. Not only do clip marks happen, but drum scanner mounters use tape, idiots leave fingerprints, it can fog slightly in the holder, it can be unevenly developed along the edges.... all kinds of depravations happen along the edges of your transparencies....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Clip marks are the signature of dip'n'dunk processers- the most common type. The alternative would be a lab which uses a roller-transport machine; those are less popular due to the risk of scratching film. There are tradeoffs everywhere...
    Don't you have that backwards? I used to use a lab that did dip&dunk with little or no teeth marks in the film but they no longer use that method & they as well as every other lab I have used do come back with alligator teeth marks.
    You might mention it to the lab, I got better results by doing so with one company but expect that it will not solve the problem as dip & dunk was used extensively for large batch & large format processing. Best way not to have these marks is to process your own film, either in a tray or daylight tank.