Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sherpa Cart

Re: Sherpa Cart

I've used a Ruxxac luggage / sack cart when I used to transport my Sinar box and tripod around.

It was good in that it folded flat to stick in the boot (trunk) of the car. It had bungee ropes on to strap the things to it. It wasn't much use over rough ground as you could get it see-sawing before it turned over sideways if you weren't careful but it was OK on roads / footpaths /floors etc.

The tyres on those are solid so no chance of them going flat but the flip side is that there's not the same amount of bounce / softness in them so things have to be decently padded in the case / backpack etc.

For attaching a backpack, you'd have to make sure all the straps were not loose as they could get caught in the cart wheels being that close to the ground.

Jean-Louis Llech

Yes, but...
    with a 2 wheels caddy, when you stop, you have to lay it on the ground.
    On three wheels, (why do we use "tripods", and not "bipods" ?) the carriage is very stable, and it stays upright by itself when I stop walking. You can stop without holding the stroller, or laying your bag on the ground. The stroller has a "parking brake".
    As I precendently wrote, when stopping, the bag is never in contact with the ground and when you open it, all its contents is displayed like on an oblique cradle. Thus, you don't have to lean you to take something in the bag.
    I place some photos and drawings of the Stroller and bag fixation.

Jean-Louis Llech

I found a post I wrote in april, 2004 about the Sherpa cart (already) :
    I already quoted the two-wheeled Sherpa cart in my first post, and I agree that it's probably the best two-wheeled cart.
    But, when I considered buying one, I noticed that the width spacing of wheels seemed very narrow, even if this spacing could be adjusted from narrow to wide.
    On its "narrow trail" configuration, the wheel stance width is 9 in. (23 cm), and on the "wide trail" one, the width is only 17 in. (43 cm).
    I think that with a heavy load on it, the cart may rock and fall, like all other two-wheeled bags I tested.
    On the stroller I use, the wheel stance width is nearly 23 in. (58 cm).
    That is the main reason why I preferred a three-wheeled cart : on the stroller, the three wheels constitute a 23 in. by 25.5 in. triangle (58cm x 65cm).
    Like a photo tripod, it has a great stability, improved by the weight of the heavy-loaded Lowepro Super-Trekker backpack, and its center of gravity is lower than the Sherpa's.

Cabelas at www.cabelas.com has very good options that are durable and have puncture proof wheels

search their store under game carrier

the Alum-i-lite is $140, ...the Collapsible carrier is $99

Jesse

Am thinking about looking for a used jogging stroller...can see that my Photo Trekker bag will drop into the baby seat; but having trouble visualizing how to attach the (large) Ries tripod...anyone doing this?

Jean-Louis Llech

On one side of the Photo Trekker, between the bag and the stroller frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Louis Llech View Post
    On one side of the Photo Trekker, between the bag and the stroller frame.
    That's what I do with my Reis tripod also - the stroller I am using has a fairly large footrest so the tripod stays put when I am moving. You would need to check the length of your tripod when picking out a stroller, as some of them are "shorter" and the tripod would ride very close to where your hands would be on the handlebar. I am using a "TikeTech" stroller and am very pleased with it - easy to push, great to have the bag about 2 feet off the ground and not worry about adding a little extra weight to what I take along with me. Only downside is the need for a trail wide enough to move along

i will give these a try for hauling my 12x20 around in the city:

http://www.solvitproducts.com/strollers_main.htm

(ok, coolness-factor is about zero)

You can return the Sherpa Cart if it turns out it doesn't meet your needs. So you only end up paying the shipping charges.

I've used a Baby Jogger for years to carry my equipment, but I thought from the description on the Sherpa website that the Sherpa Cart might off some advantages. I suffer from spinal stenosis, so being able to sit down on something would be a plus some extras. But it turned out that the Sherpa Cart was much more massive and much heavier than I had envisioned. It was just too much for me to handle, so I returned it.

The Baby jogger works find for me for transporting my 4 x 5 equipment plus. Its big drawback is that I can't sit on it, but I carry a small camping stool for that. I got the model with the larger wheels, and that is essential if you are moving over anything but pavement.

The Sherpa Cart would be more appropriate if you needed to carry a lot more than just your camera equipment.

There is one hidden feature of the Baby Joggers. You can remove the rear wheels by pressing the two metal clips on the rear axle. Without knowing that, I wouldn't be able to fit the Baby Jogger and my equipment in my Corolla. For some reason, the Baby Jogger folks don't advertixe this feature, and few Jogger owners know about it.

Hi, Leonard. Sorry about the bad back; I feel your pain - I needed a laminectomy last year.

On topic: I use a Radio Flyer All-Terrain Cargo Wagon to drag the 12x20 around. It's the kind with a wooden bottom and fat tires. Lots more room than the metal bottomed wagons. The sides come off and the handle folds underneath. It is rather long, though. Walmart sells them for $141. I watched for about two years before finding one on Craigslist for half that.

http://www.radioflyer.com/atw/atw_29.html

Charley