I am a newcomer to LF, and I am on the waiting list for a Chamonix 45, but have missed out the August shipment and am on the alternate list...we will see. Could be December...

While poking around the local camera shop here in London, I discovered a Gandolfi half-plate camera, with 7 matching double bookholders (i.e., for plates), with original Gandolfi wooden tripod, and case. Fitted with a 127mm Schneider lens, which has a working shutter. Bellows look good and light tight too.

I know of only one place to get half-plate film here in the UK (Retrographic), and of course they only have a limited supply and choice - just the NP line, in one ISO.

The shop wants £200 for the Gandolfi - which is in respectable but obviously not perfect cosmetic condition. Any advice from the members here on whether or not that represents a sound investment to get started in LF? Or should I just wait for the Chamonix, which will have more movements, film availability, lighter, etc.?

And lastly, on a half plate, what does that 127mm lens represent in 35mm equivalence? Is it close enough to 4x5 to figure that as a 35-40mm equivalent?