Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tripod question

Re: Tripod question

Went from a Gitzo 1227 (I know, not the Manfrotto you're asking about, and admittedly marginal for 4x5) to a wood tripod and found the wood tripod steadier. The head makes a whole lot of difference, too. I'm now using a gitzo low profile magnesium head without quick release plate and can now use the same wood tripod one format larger, in 8x10.
    Rubber feet are a bad idea in my opinion. On rocky ground the whole tripod swings on them. Though, if you're setting up on a hardwood floor, they might be mandatory.

You haven't seen Jim's walnut tripod!

It just occurred to me that a wooden tripod would be infinitely preferable in a thunderstorm.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I just saw this post. My Walnut tripod was designed after from a post on the SK Grimes site by Dick Streff. It is a camlock tripod. I just upgraded it with the Ries design Tri-lock system. I have the Howitzer coming tomorrow! No, really it is rock solid. Even more sow now with the tri-lock system I did. The legs lock in place now and I can sit my skinny 135lbs. a.. on it with no problem. It weights about 10 lbs. with the Majestic head. I use it for my 11x14 and 8x20. I think it could handle more. Over kill for 4x5!

Jim

3d Visual Effects artist

I don't know if wood is better or not, I do enjoy using a wood tripod though. It's probably a psychological thing, but I love my ries :-)
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

A heavy wood tripod is good in windy conditions and for firewood after you realize that you're passing up photographic opportunities because you don't want to lug your heavy tripod any distance.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Wooden tripods do not suck the heat out of your hands on cold days. Aluminum ones do.

Charlie

No questions at all in my mind, my favorite tripod of all time is a Ries. As for other considerations, I have also hung a 4 x 5 on a tiltall, and I am currently using a Gitzo 2227 carbon fiber with a Linhof ball head to make things much easier on my back ($$$$).

There isn't any perfect tripod, period. Wood is indeed better, in general the heavier the tripod the better. If you can carry it, I say go for it!

I don't think we can generalize successfully on this topic. What matters is the resonant frequency and dampening of the whole system. Some large, heave and stiff support systems don't work well with specific heads and cameras. For instance, I once tried my 35mm camera on a very heavy tripod. Tapping the camera would produce a very obvious "ringing" style vibration. Not good. That tripod and head, though, was rock solid with a huge 8x10 monorail.

If you are photographing where there's soft ground, surveyor tripod style feet sunk deeply into the ground can really dampen any vibrations. I used to have a zone vi wooden tripod, and when those huge feet were stepped down, that was one stable tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    I've read that wooden tripods will dampen vibrations while metal ones will transmit them. Sounds accurate. I suspect carbon fiber would also dampen. Wood certainly looks good with a wooden field camera, but I like rubber feet, and most wooden tripods have naked spikes.
    I'[ve heard that too -- and it seems like a load of bs to me., frankly.

As long as it holds your camera still, and you can manage the weight etc of the tripod itself, the material is irrelevant. Carbon fiber is lighter, wood is not. etc etc. but there's no inherent benefit to wood that will make a difference in the photos created by the camera placed on top of the wooden tripod.