Thread: Any functional differences between Ries

Any functional differences between Ries

and Berlebach? Am considering one or the other, The Berlebachs seem slightly more afforable.

Re: Any functional differences between Ries

I own Ries. Never used a Berlebach, but I bet there's not much different.

Ries does give a life-time warrantee on their gear. Don't know about Berlebach.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

I have owned and used both. The Ries is exceedingly better the Berlebach. Its like comparing a Kiev to a Hasselblad, or a Chaminox to a Phillips. A case where the knock off is simply that, and has no advantage but price. The Berlebachs are lighter, but not nearly as stable.

If you are shooting LF, especially 8x10 or larger, you will be much happier with the Ries. If the price is daunting buy one used. I got mine on ebay about a year ago for less then $150. Keep your eye on the forums too, they crop up occasionally. A ries is worth the money. They cost more for a reason.

Yours:

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I have a big Ries, a little Ries and a medium Berlebach. All very nice tripods, and I use them all for different things, but I prefer the Ries, especially the big one. The legs are a little simpler to adjust and go considerably higher on the Ries, though they don't break down as far. The big difference is in the heads. The Ries head is heavier, but I like it more than any of the options on the Berleback.

The big Ries would also handle a much larger camera, a thought if you think you may one day end up with an 11x14, 12x20, 14x17, 16x20, 20x24...

But if you're using 4x5 or even 5x7, the big Ries would be overkill and out-of-scale to the camera.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I've got a Berlebach as I considered a Ries to be way over the top in mass, size and especially cost and I'd have to import one from the States to the UK with the joys of customs. I'm "only" using 5x4 so don't need a thumping great beastie of a tripod.

I picked a standard model and had it modified to my liking for not that much extra. I was quoted a delivery time and it came a few weeks before that along with all the accessories I ordered at the same time. Emails in English are not a problem for them.

As for warranties, this is taken from the Berlebach site "Repairs of all Berlebach tripods and accessories up to an age of 30 years will be carried out within 48 hours." Not bad going, I think.

Andrew

I have owned both and kept the Ries - the Berlebach was OK, but I just liked the Reis better because - the leg spread adjustment on the Ries is much better, overall fit and finish is better on both the wood and metal parts. There is no plastic on a Ries. I also use and like the Ries double tilt head. Ries are fairly often up for sale used - they are a US company and have a very good service record. I used them once and was very pleased with the speed and cost of the repair - they replaced the stainless steel arms on my head which I had bent.

Currently have both but give the Ries the top spot. The Berlebachs are noticeably lighter but the Ries tri lock system is a major advantage imho. It adds that extra bit of stability and if one is moving the tripod and camera around while composing, it keeps the legs (unless the upper bolts are really lightened down) from creeping back to centre. Minor thing but very important for me and how I work. I do like the levelling head on the Berlebachs though.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Used Ries are a good deal, but apparently getting a used one voids the lifetime guarantee. I sent mine in when a metal fitting on one of the legs developed a hairline crack. It was repaired and returned and two weeks later I was surprised with a bill

...Of course mine was built in Hollywood in the 1920's near as I could tell. I guess they figured the original owner's warranty had expired!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White