Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying lenses on belt packs

Carrying lenses on belt packs

I mostly work out of the car, carrying the camera on the tripod, with the rest of my gear in a belt pack. I would like to carry a few lenses with me - anyone have recommendations on whether you could use Kinesis pouches or the like for lenses on Technika boards? (not skinny lenses, but 3-3.6" long lenses.)

Re: Carrying lenses on belt packs

I use a Lowepro beltpack, intended for a point-and-shoot, which works fine for compact lenses on Technika boards.

Two of my lenses are too large for that so I also need to find another pouch.

Think of using a regular fanny pack (I've used a couple of different ones) or a photo fanny pack. I've fit two or three lenses face to face in them, and then I've attached a belt pack or two to the belt of the fanny pack for Grafmatics.

Jean-Louis Llech

I carry all my lenses into Gnassgear cases.
    The smallest one can carry 3 lenses on Technika lensboard. The case is equipped with removable dividers to adjust the case for the length of the lenses. These cases are very well manufactured. Red or Blue.
    Unfortunately, the website of Justin Gnass seems out of order. But you can see these cases and all Gnass products on the french site of André Mouton, Taos Photographic.
    This is the direct link to the Gnassgear articles page : http://www.taosphotographic.com/Cart...83.198.172.247 The case for 3 lenses is labeled "Etui court, pour 3 objectifs sur planchettes 4x5".

You can also use other cases made by Photobackpacker. They are single lens cases.
    Here is the link : http://www.photobackpacker.com/mm5/m...ory_Code=RPT02

Jean-Louis,

I have the Gnassgear cases, but they only get me to the meta question - how do you carry the cases in the field?

Jean-Louis Llech

Ed,
    In a Lowepro bag. Either a backpack (Photo Trekker) or a shoulder bag (Stealth 650 AW). I prefer to carry several bags (one small backpack, one medium shoulder bag, and a toploader) than one unique huge and heavy bag. This last bag (Lowepro Super Trekker) is firmly mounted on a stroller.
    A shoulder bag is more accessible than a backpack, and a toploader even more accessible than a shoulder bag. Thus I place all my gear in the bags according to the frequency of use.

One of the drawbacks of the Gnassgear cases is that, as they can carry three lenses, they are rather large and heavy. Single cases, when correctly labeled, are maybe easier to use. Last, Gnassgear cases cannot be easily carried in a belt pack.

A solution might be to use a belt pack. A Lowepro Sideline Shooter can carry three lenses on Technika lensboards : inside dimensions are 305 X 125 X 150 mm.
    A Technika lensboard overall dimensions are about 110 x 115 mm. Not the lensboard itself, of course, but don't forget that the lens and/or the shutter very often protrudes on one or two sides of the lensboard.
    Thus, 125 x150 mm are sufficient for lensboards. Last, the length of 300mm allows to carry three to four lenses, depending of their size, with dividers.

Jean-Louis Llech

Unfortunately, the excellent Lowepro Street and Field system has no pouches for large format lenses. On another hand, neither Photobackpacker nor Gnassgear lens cases have any hooks for fixing a strap, or any system for attaching them on a belt. (Maybe better !)

There are two different problems : the lens protection by cases (I am not confident in the soft protective wraps : rather dangerous when "unwrapping" the lenses) and the lens transport.
    Both problems can be easily solved, but probably not with an unique solution. Photobackpacker individual lens cases or Gnassgear multiple cases can be placed into all bags. IMO they cannot be placed into a backpack if you need frequent access to them.
    An advantage with Photobackpacker : when you pick up a case, you only take one lens. With Gnassgear, you pick up three or four lenses at the same time, when you just need one.
    When you make a lens exchange, the size of the lens going back into the bag is maybe not the same, and must be placed into another case. All these operations are probably easier with single cases.

I consider two situations :
    First, you have a unique backpack, placed on the ground (or on a stroller, as I do), and the camera is already on its tripod, near of you. In this situation, picking up a lens is not a problem, whatever the size of the unique or multiple lens case, .
    Second situation : you travel "light", with the camera handheld. The camera is hanging on a neck strap. Now, you don't have always both hands totally free, and taking a lens out of a bag is not always very easy. A shoulder bag is probably the "less bad" solution.

But you also need access to the film holders, and to other accessories (spotmeter...)
    A "belt and harness" system or a photo jacket is great for carrying into separate pouches all these not-too-heavy-and-not-too-bulky accessories.
    Two bags (like Billingham "Alice" shoulder bags), one for lenses, the other for film holders, crossed on your shoulders are sufficient. In the front and side pockets, you can also carry all these impedimenta that you don't need every five minutes (spare films, cleaning clothes and tools).

Have a look at the ThinkTank Photo line of belt packs. Not made for large format lenses, but extremly usefull line of gear.

Jean-Louis Llech

It's certainly good quality, Heinrich. But as I already have all my bags, pouches, belts, harnesses and straps in Lowepro, I will probably not change now.

E.g. I have Lowepro pouches which can carry a Linhof 6x9 Super-Rollex rollfilm holder, and other ones for Rollei MF rollfilms, both series which have been cancelled since a few years. But these pouches are excellent for carrying rollfilm backs on a belt and exchange them rather quickly. (More rapid than to open a bag)

I suppose, of course that no brand allow to use other pouches on their belts, or other belts with their pouches. When you get "married" with one system, you have to keep it or to sell everything to try another brand.
    Or you have to be rich, which I am not.

Jean-Louis, no problem with Think Tank stuff. I carry some mix of Domke, ThinkTank and Newswear pouches on my Domke belt...just what suits me best....