Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rodenstock or Schneider?

Rodenstock or Schneider?

Hello Everyone,

I'd like to know what your recommendation is. I'm planning to buy a 180mm lens to use with my TK 45. Current consideration is either a new or used Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-S or Schneider Apo-Symmar L. Also, if I decide to buy used, would there be any real practical/image quality benefit on the Schneider L over the non-L?

Thank you in advance.

bernal

Re: Rodenstock or Schneider?

Hello bernal,

Of the two lenses you mentioned, I have used the Sironar S lenses and they are superb.
    Not to say that the Schneider isn't - but you can be assured that the sironar will give you fabulous images.

It doesn't matter, both manufacturers make quality products.

Choice is great. Whatever floats your boat.

The mind makes the photograph not the gear.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Bernal;

I'd go with the best price myself. My "modern" LF lens is a 150 convertable Symmar. It is superb. The newer lenses will only be better. They will all become about equal at f:32, due to diffraction.

I've owned the APO-Sironar S 135, 150 and 180. All wonderful lenses. I have not owned a Schneider in a similar focal length, but I'm sure the current Schneider 180 is just as good.

Compare the lens test results for the 150mm:

http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/testing.html

You haven't mentioned what you plan to shoot, or what kind of image quality you are looking for.

If you want a razor sharp image, then both lenses will be fine, and you can compare secondary attributes like size, coverage, filter size, weight, etc. Nikon and Fujinon are also worthy of your consideration in this regard.

If you are looking for something with excellent out-of-focus rendering, or other even more intangible qualities like "warmth", then consider some of the vintage lens designs.

Quote Originally Posted by bernal View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I'd like to know what your recommendation is. I'm planning to buy a 180mm lens to use with my TK 45. Current consideration is either a new or used Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-S or Schneider Apo-Symmar L. Also, if I decide to buy used, would there be any real practical/image quality benefit on the Schneider L over the non-L?

Thank you in advance.

bernal
    Judging from the published MTF curves, there is no real advantage of the Apo-Symmar L over the Apo-Symmar, despite the different coverage numbers. Years ago,I scanned and overlayed the 150mm versions together with the Apo-Sironar S, which can be found here:
    http://static.photo.net/attachments/...C-12655384.jpg
    (for 1:10) and just the Apo-Symmar versions at infinity:
    http://static.photo.net/attachments/...W-12674684.jpg
    The main rationale for Schneiders redesign seemed to be the switch to lead-free glasses required by RoHS. Since they also changed the mount to larger diameters, it is possible that the larger coverage number is due to reduced vignetting.

Find ANY modern 180mm lens made by Fuji, Nikon, Rodenstock or Schneider and buy the one that sells for the lowest price!

Thanks everyone for helping me make an informed decision. Based on your advice it seems name brand is irrelevant. Rodenstock and Schneider are pretty much the same in regards to specs, weight and price and you seem to agree they are both fine optics. I will go for lowest price.

Ron and Arne, thanks for the links.

bernal

Schneider lenses are considered the gold standard for large format, ziess is the gold standard for medium format.