Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Threats=Bans

Re: Threats=Bans

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Why not delete the whole thread? The point has been made.
    Well, the longer the thread runs, the more colorful the punishments that may be imagined. I rather like the punishment of Damiens the Regicide quoted in the opening to Foucault's Discipline and Punish--

Quote Originally Posted by Michel Foucault
    On 1 March 1757 Damiens the regicide was condemned "to make the amende honorable before the main door of the Church of Paris", where he was to be "taken and conveyed in a cart, wearing nothing but a shirt, holding a torch of burning wax weighing two pounds"; then, "in the said cart, to the Place de Grève, where, on a scaffold that will be erected there, the flesh will be torn from his breasts, arms, thighs and claves with red-hot pincers, his right hand, holding the knife with which he committed the said parricide, burnt with sulphur, and, on those places where the flesh will be torn away, poured molten lead, boiling oil, burning resin, wax and sulphur melted together and then his body drawn and quartered by four horses and his limbs and body consumed by fire, reduced to ashes and his ashes thrown to the winds"

Thank you David!

It may be that if threats escalate, Kirk may want to use threads like these to establish the background and history....

David, very good!

Perhaps that could appear on the LF Home Page.

Cheers,
    Merg

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Good thought, Mark. That is actually what I had in mind; "lock", not "delete".
    Thanks,
    Merg
    Thanks guys, that is the conclusion I came to too. Point made. I'll do it tomorrow.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Delete as you see fit. And if you do feel there is some aspect of the originating threat that should be taken seriously, then do so. Better safe than sorry.

Nighty-night and don't let the threat-bugs bite.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    All,
    snip
    As a result of this incident, and after consulting with my fellow moderators, I have decided on a 0 tolerance policy for threats, whether made on or off the forum.
    snip
    Similar behavior in the future, on or off the forum will incur more severe responses. Be warned all.

This job does not compensate me well enough to put up with such nonsense.

Thanks all,
    Well, I see it a little bit differently, Kirk. Here you go, threatening "all" of us that if threatened, you'll retaliate.
    Well. Thanks for your threat. It didn't take you long time as a moderator to come with threats to "all", did it? I simply think, that you should take care of your private emails with others privately and not to take it on us all. Simply because I have nothing to do with you private emails and your reactions to them. Please, keep them private! That's my view of your threat. Once

Once, Kirk didn't threaten you. He stated board policy.

I don't see how you can interpret setting the limits of acceptable behavior as a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    snip
    I don't see how you can interpret setting the limits of acceptable behavior as a threat.
    That's not my fault.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Well, the longer the thread runs, the more colorful the punishments that may be imagined. I rather like the punishment of Damiens the Regicide quoted in the opening to Foucault's Discipline and Punish--
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michel Foucault
    On 1 March 1757 Damiens the regicide was condemned "to make the amende honorable before the main door of the Church of Paris", where he was to be "taken and conveyed in a cart, wearing nothing but a shirt, holding a torch of burning wax weighing two pounds"; then, "in the said cart, to the Place de Grève, where, on a scaffold that will be erected there, the flesh will be torn from his breasts, arms, thighs and claves with red-hot pincers, his right hand, holding the knife with which he committed the said parricide, burnt with sulphur, and, on those places where the flesh will be torn away, poured molten lead, boiling oil, burning resin, wax and sulphur melted together and then his body drawn and quartered by four horses and his limbs and body consumed by fire, reduced to ashes and his ashes thrown to the winds"

Sounds like routine procedure down at Gitmo........

Seriously though, making threats, or even getting abusive in pm's or emails should have zero tolerance for everyone. If someone is so disturbed as to wish harm, especially physical harm to anyone here, then they simply don't belong here.

jetcode

some snakes have more than one head ...