Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shen-Hao

Shen-Hao

Hi!
    New to this forum.
    Planning to buy a Shen-Hao for my landscape work.
    Used to do this with my Eos 5D and 16-35mm, I like wideangelshot with itīs priority to
    the foreground.
    Going to buy a fujinon 75/5,6.
    But which Shen-Hao should i buy?
    The Tz45-IIB or the HZX 4x5-IIA, whats the difference.
    Think I need a recessed lensboard and a bagbellow also.

Best regards

Stefan Jonsson / Stockholm, Sweden

Scott Davis

Re: Shen-Hao

Stefan-

I have an older Shen-Hao HZX 45-IIa. I haven't used the TZ so I can't comment on it over the HZX. The HZX is a great little camera - I think you will be very happy with it if that is the one you get. I have used a 75mm on it with the bag bellows, and with the bag bellows it is not necessary to use a recessed lensboard.

I've had my Shen HZX 45-IIa for several years now and like it very much. I have a 75mm SA in a recessed lensboard and the bag bellows and have had no problems at all. I've also used this lens without changing bellows when I know the shot does not need much in the way of movements and it's worked perfectly well.

Confidently Agnostic!

I've looked at the specifications and I think the finish and control setup is nicer on the TZ but the HZX has more movements and is a more useful camera in that respect. The difference is pretty minor though. Shift has been moved to the front instead of the back, and reduced to 12mm either way from 40mm on the HZX. I do use shift and I'd probably want the older model for the larger range, though the mechanism for this back movement is maybe the most cumbersome thing about the HZX design and so I can see why they opted to change it. It's not a bad design, it's just that on mine it needed an additional washer installed to increase the tension when it's locked down.

One has Aluminum metal and one has Stainless Steel. I have the Stainless Steel and Walnut model. The weights are the same but the price is less for the Stainless Steel hardware model. I really like the design and function of the camera, there is simply nothing to complain about. They are inexpensive enough that it's hard not to pick one up.

I have a new Shen, have had it for under a month and to make it comfortable to my way of work, I've moded the knobs ... putting non slip grip covers on and adding synthetic compression washers... stuff picked up from local "electronics, mechanical" industrial surplus store (weird stuff, sunnyvale)... my initial impression of it was that it had added to the feature list by cutting down on the tactile quality... but as my wife says " It is such a pretty camera" ... of course most people like the camera, that's a reason I opted for it. In my past life in a commercial studio I was pampered by Sinar, luvly... by the way my camera is called Shane...Roped into field work, only to find himself in conflict between good and evil...

Welcome to this forum Stefan.

I think you will find lots of competent and friendly people here. And good luck with your Large Format Photography.

(In case you need some more help to get started you can PM me.)

Patrik, (Stockholm, Sweden)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrik Roseen View Post
    Welcome to this forum Stefan.

I think you will find lots of competent and friendly people here. And good luck with your Large Format Photography.

(In case you need some more help to get started you can PM me.)

Patrik, (Stockholm, Sweden)
    Great Patrik!
    I will PM you when iīve got my kamera .

And thanks you everybody for the answer.

TZ45-IIB will work better for shorter lenses than the IIA. The TFC45-IIB would be even better for short lenses, though costs a bit more. The HZX45-AII is a good all around choice for many lenses, though a bag bellows is recommended to use a 75mm.

I have been using an HZX45-AII for a few years, though mostly with a 135mm. I did borrow a 75mm on a flat board a few times, and it works okay. The stock bellows is a bit stiff when compressed, which makes movements tougher than with longer lenses. You should also know that focus and composing with a 75mm is vastly tougher than with a longer lens, especially with the stock ground glass.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Thanks everybody, iīve ordered the HZX45-AII at Badgers.
    Now I canīt hardly wait.

Best regards / Stefan