Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shen-Hao

Re: Shen-Hao

Just rec'd my TZ45-IIB on Sat. Used it on Sunday. Seems pretty nice for an inexpensive camera. I used a 210mm and worked fine. Will try my 90mm fuji lens next outing. My only problem so far has been figuring out the rear shift. There's a locking lever which releases the rear swing, but it doesn't seem to release the shift. Can anyone explain?

Anyone tried the IIB with a 75mm on a flat board compared to the IIA? Gordon have you actually tried this? I have a IIB and it works fairly well with my 75mm on a flat board, but I'm thinking about switching to the IIB for the weight savings? If it handles my 75mm better that would be an extra plus!

BigSteveG, I would to hear you comments as well.

Thanks, -=Will
    Will Wilson
    www.willwilson.com

Badger is an excellent company. My wife purchased a Shen Hao for my birthday about three years ago from Badger. The SH was an excellent camera and worked fine with a 65 Nikkor that I had at the time. I don't remember if I had a recessed board for it or not but it was fine with a 6x12 back and the SH bag bellows. Excellent cameras at a reasonable price. I sold the SH this year because I often use long lenses and needed more bellows.

If you use a lot of ultra wides you might want to look at the Shen Hao 6x12 back. 120 roll film and six shots per roll. It's a great format for landscapes IMO. 120 film is easy to get processed and economical. The price of the back is reasonable for a pano back and the construction is like a tank. Simple, nicely finished and reliable.

Enjoy your camera and make some great images.

You got the wrong model it has the shortest bellows. One reason they are cheap is that they have thin short bellows.

I only used the 75mm on a flat board on the HZX45-AII, so I don't know how much better the TZ models might work with that. On the HZX45-AII, the stiffness of the stock bellows makes movements a bit of a chore with a 75mm. A recessed board would help, though the optional bag bellows would be even easier to use.

A 75mm is a very wide field of view. I just don't find it is a lens I use often enough to justify a more specialized camera. If you found that you used many short focal length lenses, then very likely a more specialized Shen-Hao might be a better choice than the HZX45-AII.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

This address will show a couple of Shen Hao's with specifications.
    Click on Products then Large format then cameras.

http://www.studiogear.com.au/
    Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure... Life is either daring adventure or nothing: Helen Keller.

Got my shenHao HZX45-AII now, two days from Badger to Stockholm with UPS, impressing!
    Shot my first Tri-x with my fujinon 75mm yesterday and developed the it today.
    Iīm impressed over the result, havenīt seen such sharpness before.
    I used a bagbellow and have no problem with the movements.
    For me this camera seems to be good value for money, but iīm new to largeformat

I have the HZX 45 IIA, and use it with Rodenstock Apo Ronar 360mm, Nikkor 210mm, Schneider Symmar S 150mm, Super Angulon 90mmXL, Super Angulon 65mm, and Super Angulon 47mmXL.
    You can use the 47 on a normal board, but, no movements at all, with a recessed board, you can use rear tilt and swing (the coverage of this lens doesn't allow much more).
    The TZ45IIB it's much lighter, the controls are much smoother and precise. The overall look of the camera is better and the finish is better, too. The HZX has some more movements and longer bells. The new TZ, allows the use of the 47 without the need of a recessed board, too.