Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ivey Imaging in Seattle closing July 1

Ivey Imaging in Seattle closing July 1

I just got a phone call from my local 4x5 E-6 film lab, Ivey Imaging in Seattle (next to Glazer's) saying that they are closing July 1 and that I should pick up all my pending film processing before the end of the week.

The person told me that the owners of Ivey wanted to sell the business but were able to find a buyer only only for the company's digital equipment. There was no buyer for the Ivey business itself not for the film processing lab.

To my knowledge Ivey was the last E-6 4x5 film processor in the Seattle area, although I hope I'm mistaken about that. The person who called me said that to her knowledge they were the last pro-level E-6 processor *for any size film* in the Seattle area, but I sure hope that's not right either.

David

Re: Ivey Imaging in Seattle closing July 1

Damn, and I was planning on shooting some E6 next week...

OK, I just spoke to Ralph Portillo at Glazer's who highly recommended NEWLAB in San Francisco. I have already set up a mail order account with them and plan to send my 50 E-6 sheets/week to them. I found them to be very friendly and helpful.

I'm curious how Newlab works out. Do you have to have an account first to send film? I've used Main Photo in LA (Scala) but haven't tried their other film services. They seem a little cheaper ($3 per sheet vs $4 with Newlab?). Damn, Ivey was $2.50 plus gas.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Adding another note. Is Prolab in Green Lake still open and taking film? I haven't tried them in a few years and their Website is down. The last place in Tacoma, Strode-McGowan quit this month and their place is undergoing "redevelopment" in a area of new highrise office/condo buildings. It's what they say, "It's all about the money."
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Ivey was more than $2.50/sheet for E-6. Pacific Color at Green Lake does not do sheet film processing (I checked, believe me), and Prolab on Leary Way may not exist, as they do not answer their phone. If you only need roll film processing (35mm, 120, and 220), I highly recommend Panda Lab on Queen Anne. I have been told that California is the closest for the Pacific Northwest.

After thirty years of commercial photography with E-6 film, I'm going to use this opportunity to move on to B/W ULF fun and forget about the grind. I've got a freezer full of fresh 14X17 T Max 400 and 14X17 and 16X20 FP4 that I can expose and process all by myself.

Another option for E6 processing is Calypso. I've had good luck with them in the past but that was before they moved to Santa Cruz. Only $1.75 per 4x5 sheet and $6 per 8x10 sheet.

-Darren

Photo Vision in Salem does both E-6 and C-41 4x5 processing. IINM their price is now $2 per sheet, but another option.

They're online at www.photovsn.com. Their website is flaky but they do good work.

Excellent suggestion, Darren. I just called Calypso and they confirmed the pricing you mentioned. They, too, will set up mail order accounts. One slight drawback for busy photographers is that they only process on Monday and Thursday, though that may change if the volume increases.

Wasn't Wy'east color bought out by Ivey? If so then I need to do some calling of friends at the Portland office. I got some great equipment when Wy'east closed.
    Got a lot of film too. Sound like a vulture don't I.
    Today, I use Citizen's photo and I understand that ProPhoto supply is building or built a film process lab.
    I'll do some calling for prices.
    OK I called Prophoto and they farm out their E-6 to K&K lab. Which I would never use. Their (K&K) machine has been known to be dirty. I had film come back with tar bits.
    Citizens Photo has a clean machine and they charge $1.75 a sheet of 4x5 and $4.80 for a roll of 120.